Search Unity

What name is this? finaly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles L, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Charles L

Charles L

Hello!
    How do we name a person who:

Designer and developer
    Making script
    Making music, sounds and voices
    3d modeling and textures
    graphic artist
    game tester
    Texts composer and corrector (stories and characters)

advertising
    webmaster
    and all about

or
    Everything from A to Z of creating a game (with unity example)

of 8th or 9th art no idea, too?

But what name is this?

I ask the question ..

thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. orb

orb

Ony, sootie8, elmar1028 and 5 others like this.
  3. Charles L

Charles L

:D a sensei, belt yield, ba da tssh

maybe needs 2 names? i search but no result of my side

a creator of game? a developer?

Creator-Publisher?

some ideas can, help...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Call them whatever you want.

If you tell us what context this matters in perhaps we can help. I'd personally just call them a "developer"... probably an "indie developer", since if they had backing I expect they'd use some of it to spread the load.

"Auteur" also seems to fit the bill.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Indie developer probably works. Indie generally implies a single person or very small group of people doing everything.

First read that as "Amateur" which might also fit the bill.

6. orb

orb

Both can be descriptive AND insulting ;)

I usually go with: "I'm just this guy, you know…"

Whippets likes this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why insulting? Sherlock Holmes was an amateur detective. As far as I am aware amateur just means "not professional", and "professional" doesn't actually speak to someone's level of skill - just that they do something as a profession.

8. orb

orb

People DO use it as an insult, but those people also seem to be ignorant of the fact it's also descriptive. That's all I meant. Didn't you see the winky thing?

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

True... I wonder why that didn't occur to me. For some reason my brain wouldn't look past the technical meaning to see the intended meaning.

10. orb

orb

I guess the best word might be "potato".

You can use a potato for anything. Occasionally people use it in job ads here.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I once spent many hours running around with a super computer powered by a potato. From memory he was afraid of birds. Never did figure out why.

12. shaderop

shaderop

Who was afraid? The super computer or the potato?

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Super computer. The potato didn't express an opinion. And to be honest I didn't even consider asking it. That's kind of jerkish of me, I'm pretty sure it didn't want to spend its day powering a super computer.

sootie8 and HemiMG like this.
  14. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I hear people call it a "lone wolf"

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. shaderop

shaderop

"Dude who never finished a game" is probably a more common name.

ogike, Ryiah and calmcarrots like this.
  16. jashan

jashan

Polymath. I'd rather call such a person a Renaissance Game Developer, though ... but ... yeah, "Dude who never finished a game" also makes a lot of sense ;-)

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its perfectly possible to finish a game this way. Your scope just has to be way narrow. Think Space Invaders, rather then Skyrim.

18. jashan

jashan

Definitely - but I agree that it's significantly more challenging to finish a game all on your own. One reason is that you'll have to learn a lot more, practice a lot more, and usually, adding stuff that's not your primary field takes a lot longer (like, if you're mainly doing software-engineering, usually it'll take you much much longer to create 3d models or even 2d art, or music; or if you're mainly doing 3d art, or music, the coding part will usually take you much longer).

Another, probably not less important, reason is that a team usually helps keeping up the motivation. On the other hand, I guess a team also creates the risk of endless discussions - so a team of incompatible people is probably less efficient than one of those Renaissance Game Developers ... but a team of compatible people with complementary skills is probably fairly hard to beat both when it comes to efficiency and fun.

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm darn near the end of a one man game that will have taken under six months. It's functionally complete now at just under the 4 month mark, with "only" polishing/tweaking based on feedback to go. And the 4 months so far haven't been anywhere remotely near full time because I don't get that luxury. I'd estimate 10 to 12 hours a week on average, not accounting for a few weeks where I just didn't get time at all.

So, yes, a one-person game is definitely possible.
    To be clear, though, I have made full use of 3rd party assets. Nothing custom made that I didn't do myself, but I've used stuff available from 3rd parties wherever it's sped me up, starting with an off-the-shelf game engine of course.

GarBenjamin and calmcarrots like this.
  20. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Possible names are:
    • Han Solo
    • Luke Skywalker
    • Amateur

If you are at large company:
    • Studio Head (Coding + 2D + 3D expert)
    • Technical director (Coding and technical aspects)
    • Art director (2D + 3D)
    • Senior technical artist (knows coding + 2D + 3D)
    • University Instructor at Masters Degree level (teaches at University)

Usually technical director and art director are 2 persons who work together.
    University instructor at Masters degree level is expected to know all.

21. ippdev

ippdev

Chief, cook and bottle washer.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

TLDR: Game Developer and possibly Game Developer Entrepreneur.

The details...

The beginning of your list is [drumroll]... a Game Developer. Of course, could be an app developer or website developer depending on what they are actually focused on developing. In this context here with Unity I think game developer is a safe bet. It applies to people doing it for a hobby purely out of passion/interest with no intention of making money and also to someone doing it with the intention to make money. In both cases they are a game developer.

When you add in the marketing side that shows a change in focus from doing it purely for fun with no desire to get anything in return to expecting some form of return whether it is money or recogniton (reluctant to use the term fame but at some level it may apply but the recognition could also be in the form of a job offer) or both. Basically the marketing, to me at least, shows the desire to "get something" from their game development efforts.

In the end I guess you can still call them Game Developer but I'd see them as more of a Game Developer Entrepreneur in the latter case particularly if money is the desired end goal of their development and marketing activities.

If they are making a living from their game development and marketing efforts I see them as a Professional Game Developer. Some people might prefer to distinguish them as a Professional Indy Game Developer.

That was all the technical details of going down the rabbit hole of my mind. In everyday life speaking with a friend I would just say "they make games as a hobby" or "they make games for a living" and possibly just "they make games".

23. UBDev

UBDev

Lean, mean, game producing grilling machine :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  24. thxfoo

thxfoo

generalist

Kiwasi likes this.
  25. Charles L

Charles L

The word or the words, i hardss to use...

I like Game Developer Entrepreneur, this is not far, from my point of view, that i want to found or discover...

thanks all

inkling started!

:)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015