Search Unity

What modules should I install along with Unity?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by hobeypadlanxx, Jun 15, 2019.

1. hobeypadlanxx

hobeypadlanxx

I'm new to Unity and I'm about to install it. It asked me what version to install, so I selected the latest. It then asked me what modules should I add to my installment. There is a lot of stuff like Android Build Support, iOS Build Support and many others. Which modules should I install?

Art_3_miz, shubha360 and Tonymotion like this.
  2. Vryken

Vryken

Depends on where you would want to publish your application.
    Android build support allows you to publish to Android devices, iOS build support to iOS devices, Linux to Linux, etc.

If you're just wanting to learn at this time and aren't planning on publishing anything, you don't really need to install any build support modules.

Edit: Also, when you say you selected the latest version of Unity to install, make sure that version doesn't end in a letter 'a' or 'b'. Those are alpha and beta versions of the engine respectively.

The current latest stable release is 2019.1.6 as of the time of this post.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Make sure when you install the "latest" build it has an "f" in the name. As already mentioned, don't install alpha/beta builds unless you specifically want to time travel to the future of Unity and are OK with the house being a mess.

As for the actual question, depends on what platforms you plan to build for. If you just want to mess around in the editor, you don't need to install any of the optional platforms. The editor will have mono build support for your OS version built in. You can always reinstall the same version and add any of those optional platforms again later anyways, so don't over think it.

Just a note, if you only have a Windows machine don't bother installing iOS support, because it produces a project for Xcode, and Apple doesn't make Xcode for Windows (so iOS technically requires a Mac for the final steps of creating an iOS build). Android builds require some external tools to be set up, which you might not want to bother with just starting with Unity - though Android is a lot of fun and makes it easy to show off your work away from the computer. WebGL is another way to make it convenient for others to take a look at your work, since they can just go to your website and immediately play your game instead of installing it. Have fun!

oskfak, shubha360, weirdo96 and 7 others like this.
  4. Oknaa

Oknaa

I had the same question, thanks that was very helpful :D

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. FernandesCephas

FernandesCephas

i know this is old post but I have not found an answer to my question anywhere else yet. Do I need to download these modules for every version of unity i am downloading. I have the latest 2019 version already with modules I wanted if I download the latest 2020.2.0f1 do I need to select them and download again?

6. Vryken

Vryken

Yes.

But if you're going to continuously upgrade your Unity version and you're not frequently creating builds of your project, it would be faster to install newer version of Unity without any modules, and then add modules later when you're actually ready to build your project.

jumisko, oskfak and Joe-Censored like this.
  7. FernandesCephas

FernandesCephas

ok. Thank you very much for taking time to respond!

8. Akash21

Akash21

Thank You I was also confused:D:D

Joe-Censored likes this.
  9. zain221120

zain221120

Sorry to bother all of you but i want to share something with you. I wanted to install android support module for unity version 2019.4.16f1 and it is installed in C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.16f1 so when i run the android setup for this version it was showing to install it in C:\Program Files\Unity & when i clicked install, showed an error

upload_2021-11-17_13-23-48.png

so when i changed it to the 2019.4.16f1 folder, it installed it.
    Just thought it would be help for beginners.

oskfak likes this.
  10. Practicalice

Practicalice

I also have a question, Is Documentation Module is necessary to download or we can just skip.

11. Practicalice

Practicalice

I also have a question, Is Documentation Module is necessary to download or we can just skip upload_2022-3-8_9-58-2.png

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Generally when there is a checkbox, it is optional. If you want the documentation, then download. Otherwise, no.

Joe-Censored and oskfak like this.