Search Unity

What mobile resolution to start with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pKallv, Feb 18, 2019.

1. pKallv

pKallv

Starting a new mobile project and would like to ask for recommendation what the best starting point is in regards to resolutions. This will be base3d on the UI and should support several mobile phones.

Is it better to start with like iPhoneX resolution and scale down or?

2. RichardKain

RichardKain

Well, the Unity UI has several tools for scaling automatically based on proportions rather than specific resolutions. I strongly recommending practicing with those tools, and trying to make your interface as resolution-independent as possible.

Sadly, there are no standard resolutions for mobile devices, and many of them feature a broad swath of different values. I would recommend going the opposite direction, and make sure your interface looks good for older, lower-resolution models, and use Unity's re-sizing tools to scale your interface up for newer models. I would specifically focus on targeting the largest install-base phones and the resolutions those support. For the iPhone, this would likely be closer to the sixth and seventh generation phones.

The iPhone X and its ilk are the latest and highest-resolution models. While they are quite popular, the vast majority of users aren't going to own them. It will be several more years before that tier of smartphone becomes the standard.

And again, learn how to scale your menus dynamically, based on proportions as opposed to pixels. It's the best way to future-proof your interfaces.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. pKallv

pKallv

Thank you for the answer. reason for asking is that I have a prototype that works ok in regards to resolution but the best is still the resolution is develop in. When changing it does not look nice. This is the reason why I ask for advise.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I start with the device's native resolution unless I have a good reason I need to change it. One problem is for example the iPhone X and iPhone 8, even though released at the same time, use screens with different aspect ratios, and are different again from the iPad. Throw in Android and then you've got a pretty wide variety of aspect ratios, and no one likes games that are stretched or have bars top/bottom or left/right.

5. Moonjump

Moonjump

I use the smallest devices possible as a starting point. Anything small usually works at a larger size, but something large may not work when smaller.

My current game has been in development for far too long (other work/projects have got in the way) and an iPod touch was the smallest compatible device (3.5" 960x640), so that was my starting point. I will keep that as although the smallest now is really an iPhone SE (4" 1136x640), I will keep using 960x640 as the ratio is more flexible for covering 16:9 to 4:3 screens.

But I don't just scale up the game for larger sizes. My UI uses a smaller percentage of the screen as the screen gets bigger for example.