Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

What means "MemoryManager.FallbackAllocation" in Profiler?

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by daschatten, Jan 13, 2020.

1. daschatten

daschatten

Profiler shows a lot of MemoryManager.FallbackAllocations with my bursted path finding job. What do they mean?

2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

You allocating native containers inside job I guess

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  3. daschatten

daschatten

Yes, i do this... thanks!

4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

It means the allocator you're allocating under are filled to the brim and you're falling back on slower allocators

GilCat likes this.
  5. sebas77

sebas77

this code doesn't use jobs at all, why do I have this?

upload_2020-6-23_18-4-27.png

(it's doing a lot of compute.dispatch though)

@MartinTilo

Attached Files:

6. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Don't know about compute.dispatch but are there any other Allocation markers in there? Nothing keeps you from e.g. allocating NativeArrays with the Temp allocator and running out space on that allocator. Whitin Jobs or outside like here.

7. sebas77

sebas77

I am pretty sure that that code doesn't use native containers, but I'll double check later.

8. sebas77

sebas77

@MartinTilo as you can see from this deep profile, the allocation comes from the internal unity API. You also notice that really would like to save that 1.20ms if it's caused just by it. Should we open a bug or something?

upload_2020-6-24_8-50-17.png

I have also notice that every combine dependency causes one of those

upload_2020-6-24_8-52-24.png

to be honest I feel disappointed that unity eats up precious ms in code that is supposed to be super optimized.

if the solution is a simple as you say (the buffer is not big enough), it would be useful for the user to set up the max size of the buffer. Also the falling back to a slower allocation may need to be optional, as I may prefer actually to be warned about the temp buffer being full.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  9. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Yes please. Also maybe additionally raise this particular issue in a new thread on the Graphics subforum, as I have not enough insight into those APIs to provide much more info on this.

10. Enzi

Enzi

I get MemoryManager.FallbackAllocations when I update systems several times in one frame.

11. sebas77

sebas77

Got the info I was looking for, thanks anyway!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  12. hidingspot

hidingspot

Can you share your insights?

13. sebas77

sebas77

there is nothing special to share, only confirmation that I am not crazy at the moment. I found out that I can set the temp buffer size with Profiler.SetTempAllocatorRequestedSize and that doesn't solve my problem. So there is a bug, but I can't pin it down. I am going to open a bug report.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
unityunity