Search Unity

What make you still stick with Unity 5.6?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeohRIK, Dec 17, 2018.

1. TeohRIK

TeohRIK

I'm still a user of Unity 5.6, I understand that everyone has their own reason for still using Unity 5.6, but I would like to heard from you guys about the reasons still sticking with Unity 5.6.

Some questions, you can add your own:
    1) Why you still stick with Unity 5.6

2) Do you plan to upgrade or use the latest version?

----

Well for me is because of the data in asset server, the project I working on actually been using the asset server as a version control since 5.2 I guess, then because of Unity 2017 they removed the asset server, so we decided to stick with 5.6. Others reason can be like the shader and worry it will break something.

Do plan to use latest version in next project, but there still something need to be concern like version control

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Git? Gitlab offers plenty of space for the indie / small team.

The only thing I can think of that is against upgrading probably backward compatibility breaking changes and plugins that may stop working.
    And laziness. And costs of transfering of the versions, plus testing.

Usually I stick to the bleeding edge version at hobbie projects. (But probably not gonna do anymore beta versions after 2018.3, F*** that)
    But at the work it's a bit no-no. Once project is started and until deadline hits - it's probably going to be single version.

Transitioning to the most recent versions has more benefits than cons, if you know how to fix issues that may came up during the process.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I would guess that the 32 bit editor and Windows XP build support would be some of the biggest reasons some projects may stick with 5.6.

tawdry and angrypenguin like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are still some people in the rage against the machine stage. 5.6 was the last version to offer perpetual licenses.

Joe-Censored and angrypenguin like this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I used to work on projects using old versions of Unity even after we'd purchased updated licenses. If the project doesn't benefit from the updates and a client had already signed off on stuff (and, importantly, it had already been tested on their hardware) then we generally wanted to change as little as reasonably possible.

We wouldn't start new projects on old versions, though.

aer0ace, Kiwasi and Ony like this.
  6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Building games for Windows XP was removed in 2017.3, not 2017.1.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Ony

Ony

Depends on the game. They're generally written in different versions and once they reach a stage where upgrading is troublesome, they stay in that version. Since we still work on them from time to time, we still use old Unity versions.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. BlackPete

BlackPete

One word: Tango.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I have multiple projects running at different versions (including 2018.3), but Tango is one project that has to remain forever stuck at 5.6. Much to my consternation.

9. ExtremeGamers

ExtremeGamers

i am still stick with unity5.6.71f because i fallen in love with this version because i have plugins and source which is supported in unity 5.6 i can't be migrate from this version this the reason and i also like unity 5.6 because i have learned it completely means each and every feature of unity 5.6 when i go to new version i have to learn new things new difficulties so unity 5.6 fullfill my and my project needs this is all about....still love this in 2020-December

10. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

There honestly isn't that much of a difference between 5.6 and the latest versions. Most of your knowledge is transferable and the rest is easy enough to learn. If you have the source, you can upgrade the scripts.

Unless there is a very specific reason to stay with 5.6, it's probably time to move on.

JoNax97 likes this.
  11. cyangamer

cyangamer

Speaking from personal experience, 5.6 was faster, easier to use, and more stable. I feel like it's just a better running piece of software than current versions.

While I did end up upgrading to 2018.4 fairly recently, it was only because 1) hardly any new assets from the Asset Store support 5.6 (meaning the game would be stuck in 2016) and 2) cannot build to an Android version that the Google Play store will accept. I imagine it's easier to stick with 5.6 if you're a PC developer making all your own assets.

12. aer0ace

aer0ace

From what I've read on the forums, 2019.x improved on performance over 2018.x significantly. This is why I skipped 2018.x altogether and went from 5.6.x to 2019.x. Now, 2019.4 is the LTS, and I'm quite happy with how well it's performing.

cyangamer and Ryiah like this.
  13. Meltdown

Meltdown

Pfft.. rookies...

Unity 3.1.2f1 is where it's at...

14. TeohRIK

TeohRIK

Erm...I actually forgot I started this thread 2 years ago. So ya the project I working on last time is already concluded and published on Steam, the project still running at 5.x but I moved the entire project to Github since its free now(Not free last time). The current mobile project I working on is already fully utilize github and running on 2019.4.x LTS(From 2018.x to 2019.x) just to get latest support for android and apple. My advice is there no point to upgrade if thing is working

aer0ace likes this.
  15. Murgilod

Murgilod