Search Unity

What linux software do you use to create 3d models for Unity?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mishaparem, Jan 24, 2018.

1. mishaparem

mishaparem

Please offer your suggestions/advice. I'd like to hop on a project that is Unity/C# based, it's in early development, and I want to be able to make it available for Linux. (Linux4Life), I know it's short-staffed, so if I wan't to see any improvements in graphics, I'll have to do it myself in my spare time. I've done a lot of modelling in SolidWorks, and a bit in 3dsMax and Blender, so I should be able to pick up whatever you throw at me, don't be shy =)

2. gsizer

gsizer

For static objects, I like to use OpenSCAD. Otherwise I pretty much rely on blender for everything.

3. mageaster

mageaster

Blender for modeling, Substance for texturing.

4. rjakob13

rjakob13

I use Blender for almost anything and related to work/time saving I found:
    - better blender importer than the one which comes with Unity Editor: https://gist.github.com/MattRix/122f258ba6eaa23dd9c5
    Using this script you don't need a rotation matrix for every blender model, i.e. even with a reset transform the y-axis will be up.
    - for character models I started with makehuman but now I'm changing everything to UMA (see asset store)
    - for the player as well as for NPC I switched from self-made controllers to ECM (see asset store) which makes it easy to have physics-aware characters combined with navmesh agent info and switch between root transform and script controlled motion
    - don't make prefabs from your imported models. I thought it was a smart thing to put my buildings with furniture, waypoints, etc. in prefabs but it's not because the meshes will loose their association with the blend or fbx file and become part of the prefab. If you want to change the model you have to do your changes in unity again (very simplified statement, I know. There are exceptions to this but as soon as you add a submesh re-importing didn't work for me.)

5. spacepluk

spacepluk

Blender for modeling then exporting FBX files into Assets. You can also use the blend files directly but then it doesn't build on Unity Cloud Build.

6. xsinick

xsinick

I use blender, 3d coat and the Gimp.

7. tfnaug

tfnaug

Blender + Subtance Painter

8. cybersoft

cybersoft

Blender + Krita (Photoshop like)