Search Unity

What known games has art assets made in Blender?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by arvzg, Mar 2, 2012.

1. arvzg

arvzg

Hi all,

I'm starting to learn Blender now for making art assets to use in a game and I was just curious - what games has assets created in Blender? I have searched through Google (there are plenty of unknown games made with the blender game engine which I didn't care about) and unity forums but haven't found any answers.

I suppose I'm kinda looking for motivation. I feel like if I know some really awesome games were made with the help of Blender, I will be even more pumped to learn it quickly! So far I haven't really been able to find any big titles which is known to assets made in Blender (which has only been demotivational, but I know they are out there!)

2. ivanzu

ivanzu

Game assets from blender are used in games because some freelancers use blender.

3. Mau

Mau

games, the same as film are being made with many different programs. some people just unwrap in blender, some do texture fixes, some use it entirely in their pipeline. It's hard to say "this was done with blender" because there so much software involved. Anyway, blender is a good start, and you will always be able to translate your gained knowledge to any other 3d program. It really doesn't matter.

4. Tiles

Tiles

Your motivation should go towards making graphics, not towards using a specific software :)

sadgame likes this.
  5. SeviiArtProductions

SeviiArtProductions

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. lazygunn

lazygunn

It honestly doesnt matter, its irrelevant, as said, 'known games' have a mind bogglingly huge collection of tools, different artists use different things. You can do plenty in blender, its pretty great, you shouldnt really be basing your enthusiasm on this non-issue, and just get stuck into creating stuff!

7. nipoco

nipoco

Like the guys here already stated, it does not matter. Blender is capable of the same things as Max or Maya. In some regards it has even more to offer (sculpting UV unwrapping etc.)

But to answer your question. There are plenty games that used Blender for the assets. Shufflepuck Cantina for iOS comes to my mind. Or Eat Sheep.
    The 3d art for the upcoming game 'Reset' is also made in Blender. Here is a trailer:

And while this is not a game, it is some nice art done in Blender and CryEngine.

It is also used in triple A productions. But you won't barely hear about that because most studios have contracts with Autodesk and the artists there who use Blender, doing that unofficially and on their own will. Sometimes just for small tasks as addition for their main software packages. But you such stories a lot at sites like Polycount or Blender Artists.

CHeers!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012