Search Unity

What kind of lighting does this game is using?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by U7Games, Jun 19, 2017.

1. U7Games

U7Games

In Unity we have Realtime GI and Baked GI...

does that game is using both?..

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

The manual offers a robust explanation of lighting in Unity.

The Shader section will also help you to understand how good lighting is related to materials and textures.

U7Games likes this.
  3. U7Games

U7Games

I have read the manuals, thanks anyway.. i just was wondering if that game was using both lighting modes or just Realtime GI.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Probably both, but the real key is looks like their usage of baked maps. 95% of the content shown is static with few realtime lights.

5. U7Games

U7Games

That is a nice clue....

6. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

First off, I believe that game is UE4, so tech comparison isn't 1:1.

That said, it looks to me like what @LaneFox said - good use of baked maps with a small amount of realtime lights for detail and grounding dynamic elements.

If you look at 0:55 there is no realtime GI system (at least not from that light source) with pitch black shadows.

At 3:00 the room light goes out, meaning realtime lighting, but there doesn't appear to be any change in bounce lighting. The overall quality to me suggests there is baked lighting in that room, with a dim real time light to give shadows to moving elements such as the ceiling fan.

It's a nice looking game, but most of it is down to the quality of the assets. I'm sure you could take all those assets into UE4, Unity, Lumberyard, or most engines of the last 5 years and get something similar looking.

U7Games likes this.
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What @Adam-Bailey said.

1. The game is UE4.

2. I'm not seeing a lot of GI (if at all) actually. I'm just seeing a bunch of realtime lights. My best guess is they baked the ambient *skylight* and then they just have a bunch of realtime lights with no GI.

U7Games and Adam-Bailey like this.
  8. U7Games

U7Games

.. so the light at 3:00 is indeed a simple direct point light with no bouce at all isn´t ?
    looks like at 3:00 on window source there is an area light... may be?..