Search Unity

What kind of License can be used to protect Assets purchased from the asset store in a public repo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scarface117, Oct 27, 2021.

1. scarface117

scarface117

Hi, wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll just ask it in General:

I would like to create a public repository with a project that I've been working on in Unity, as I would like to give the chance for other folks to contribute to it, take whatever they need from my code, and/or learn from it.

The only issue I see is that the project has many assets that I purchased from the asset store, which are only allowed to be used on that particular project.

Is there a way for me to release this repository as public with a license that protects the copyright of these specific assets? (NOTE I don't care to protect my own code, I just don't want to break the asset store policy or endanger our purchase agreement).

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks!

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

You are not allowed to put assets from asset store into a public repo without explicit permission. That's redistribution and breach of asset store license.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As already mentioned, you cannot include anything downloaded under the Asset Store license in a public repo. You have 2 options I'm aware of:

1) Contact the creators of each asset, and get explicit permission to include their asset in the public repo. Technically I believe you would need them to then send you another copy of the asset directly, so you include that one instead of the one you downloaded from the Asset Store, since the Asset Store copy is still covered under the Asset Store license which forbids putting it in a public repo. This is unlikely to be successful.

2) Do not include the assets in your public repo, but instead in its documentation state that they need to acquire specific assets from the store. This creates problems with references and code you have which depends on these assets, and if the asset is modified by its creator in the future on the store.

IANAL

AcidArrow and neginfinity like this.
  4. scarface117

scarface117

Thanks for the responses.
    I guess I'll have to replace those assets with 'dummy' assets, and plug out the components that are from the asset store.

Joe-Censored likes this.