Search Unity

What kind of hardware you use for Unity 3d

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OrlovskyConsultingGbR, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

So hello community!
    I would be interested to know what kind of hardware you use for Unity3D game development.
    In my case i have 2 pc rigs (both amd cpu's)
    16 Gb Ram and one is cpu 4 core with nvidia and another one 8 core with amd Card R9 270x with ssd each of one 500 GB.
    Then for my mobile freelance work i use acer predator triton 500 , which too have 16GB of ram and ssd and intel cpu.
    Major workstation is 4 core amd cpu 4,2 Ghz memory DDR3 .
    "Build" workstation is 8 core amd cpu with 4.5 Ghz memory DDR3
    So what is your setup , one funny thing which i noticed about Unity3D the baking can be pretty annoying and automating rendering must be disabled if you wish to stay productive.
    You can look my demo work here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLozDg-R9qcqRpXiLw6azW_zALgMMO78v5 , i still learning how to use Unity engine and i hope to be able to learn a lot about it.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

My current workstation is an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X, 32GB DDR4-2666, GTX 1080, 1TB SATA SSD, but due to the demands of my biggest project I'm planning an upgrade to one of the Ryzen 9 CPUs and NVMe SSDs. Builds and imports just take too long with a large project.

OrlovskyConsultingGbR likes this.
  3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

If you have to choose, go for the NVMe SSD first. I have a 6 core 12 threads i7 and most of the tasks Unity performs during building, importing and opening projects barely stress the CPU. It's mostly I/O bound.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Oh I already have the NVMe SSDs. Last Black Friday had fantastic deals.

Have you worked with the HDRP yet? My last build was two hours long with the processor pegged at 100% load almost the entire time with the majority of the build spent on generating thousands of shader variants. Unity will cache them for future builds but the project changes enough that I still have hundreds to generate every build.

5. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Remember hdrp is quiet experimental so if you only using for yourself and playing around is fine. Is not yet recommend for other purpose.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

The High Definition Render Pipeline has been production ready since the release of Unity 2019.3.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/28/unity-2019-3-is-now-available/
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/02/24/hdrp-out-of-preview-in-2019-3/

Game development is a rapidly evolving industry. While you're free to treat new technologies as experimental right up until they're proven, there is a reason why the phrase "the early bird gets the worm" exists. My latest paid contract involves the new render pipelines.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Well is different in practice, my friend was making a combat style game with baked light and hdrp features to begin with and now he regrets decision.

Be careful with projected articles, and use experience to help u decide friend.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I am using experience and experience says that the benefits almost always outweigh the headaches and in this case the benefit is getting a paid job I may not have had otherwise. ;)

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

oh ok friend, i was just worried that sometimes u can start project and get stuck later down line. I'm sure if you using these features and shader graph it will work out fine for say example, 'combat style game.'

but sometimes investors and share holders can pull the plug on projects quiet suddenly you understand.

10. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

A year ago, I programmed artificial intelligence for a racing game on a very old computer 2005-2008 year and it was great! Any non-optimized section of code made the game lag wildly and I immediately knew what the problem was, without even looking at the profiler. This allowed me not to delay code optimization for later and eliminate the brakes immediately.

11. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

An old S***ty excuse of a dell e6400 with 4gb of ddr2 ram and ye old 250gb hd. Oh the graphics card is so old the newest version of blender that i can use is from 2014. And even still i used it just fine to create a game fully completed which i need to upload soon lol.

12. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

I_Am_DreReid , interesting , but you need to build the game, do you use some cloud services or just build it on your own laptop?
    Then there is big question how do you test your games.

I_Am_DreReid likes this.
  13. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Built this computer around 5 years back, and unfortunately it is performing great still so can't yet justify a new rig. Though I keep teasing the wife how any new money coming in is "new computer monies". :D
    i7-5820k with mild all core OC to 3.8ghz (6 cores)
    16GB RAM
    GTX 980
    1TB Samsung SSD
    2 x 27" 1080P monitors and 1 x 50" 1080P TV wrapping around an L shaped desk.

The 5820k was pretty awesome when it came out and when I built this machine. Today it has similar performance to a Ryzen 2600, so it is pretty mid range and still good enough for anything I throw at it.

I also often develop on my 13" 2 in 1 Dell Inspiron. Dual core i7 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. It has crap video, but that's fine. I use it for min spec video testing because of that. The RAM and SSD are upgrades over stock (came with 8GB and Dell says that is the max it supports, but that's probably because they don't themselves sell a 16GB upgrade, also came with 256GB SSD). I usually create builds on the desktop, since they take at least twice as long on the laptop, same with even switching target platforms.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  14. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

i7-4790K @ 4Ghz
    32GB ram
    500Gb SSD + 2x2TB HDD
    nVidia GTX 960

Found it laying by the side of the road, so I am pretty happy with the price to performance ratio.

Ryiah, angrypenguin and Joe-Censored like this.
  15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

That's a good deal then!

bobisgod234 likes this.
  16. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Its already built, just need to upload it.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

He's just curious how long it takes to create a build.

18. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

Ryiah, yeah thats right, my idea to have some sort of pipeline developer rig -> build rig -> testing rig

19. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

I dont even remember, i do know its quite large in size maybe due to my amateur knowledge. Gonna see if there is anything i can do to compress some stuff. Thing is like 1.4gb for a simple 2d project.

20. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

In my case i already reached 10GBs as in storage for my 3D strategy game project ;)
    So my hardware environment didn't changed so far.
    The source control i do both onsite and in the cloud, this is definitely more safe then having to put all in one box, and when you think that at some point you will have other project participants, then it make good sense to push the code to cloud service.

My current hardware environment:
    1. Pc workstation for development in Unity3D
    2. Server for sourcecontrol
    3. Game pc for testing the build as play testing.
    4. Acer predator 500 laptop for showcasing the game , which i developing
    Did anyone mentioned VR ?
    VR sounds for me still like over hyped topic, but if anyone who actually developing VR game in Unity3D can share theirs experience, because from the news outlook it didn't look good.

21. MDADigital

MDADigital

We are doing VR, we upgraded all teammembers to AMD 3950x 16 core CPUs, 32 gigs and 2 TB NVMe.

We also just invested in a 64 core Threadripper since it seems PLM GPU will never work with large scenes :)

Also make sure to work on calibrated monitors, otherwise it's just guesswork how the game will look

22. OrlovskyConsultingGbR

OrlovskyConsultingGbR

Thanks for sharing the infos, wow 64 core great investment, what do you mean calibrated monitors CMYK color scheme? What about VR equipment i guess Oculus is per default is a standard, what is your opinion about the Oculus SDK and how easy to work with it and does it work fluently with Unity3D?

23. MDADigital

MDADigital

No a ISF calibration so your monitor complies to the standards for colors and brightness.

We actually use the SteamVR sdk so if you want to play with a rift you need to use steamvr which works good with oculus these days

24. theonerm2_unity

theonerm2_unity

Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, RTX 2080 Super, and 1TB Intel 660p I also have 16TB of HDD storage for backup. So yeah Nvidia, AMD, and intel in one box. Lol.

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you unable to use Bakery?

xVergilx likes this.
  26. xVergilx

xVergilx

Threadripper is obviously cheaper than Bakery.

:D

27. MDADigital

MDADigital

It was cheaper than recalibrating lighting in all scenes. New scenes might go through bakery though.

28. MDADigital

MDADigital

A teammeber costs roughly 130 USD per hour, a 3990x vs the time to relicabrate all scenes and a 3990x is cheap

Value your time folks, hardware is cheap

nicolasgramlich likes this.
  29. vertexx

vertexx

Hi.
    I think a quick visit to the Oculus Discussion Forums might be an idea for you.
    You will see countless threads on how the constant and unavoidable updates are affecting users.
    Not a nice outcome for any Dev!
    I've had the Oculus since the DK1 and now have the "latest " rift-s. Using W10. GTX1070 32 gigs, SSd's everywhere.
    CPU is i7.
    Got to say that the VR experience is simply great! But "simple" is the word. Basically last century visuals, god rays(!!) and lots of horrid things! Maybe in the future where vital game details become visible (!) and not just a blur then things will be better? However there seem to be folk quite accepting of low res, low detail and unstable updates, folk who like to play and giggle? But I would seriously say..wait ...and keep up the fine work you are doing right now.

30. Viper47

Viper47

would i be able to use a q9300 cpu with gtx 650 ti for unity

31. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I would expect Unity will run, but performance will be poor.

32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

See hardware thread.

Joe-Censored likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.