Search Unity

What kind of game is great for learning the basics of Unity in a short amount of time?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by rubi555, Nov 8, 2019.

1. rubi555

rubi555

I've been using Unity for some time now, but now i have a group of beginners who want me to teach them. What game type do you recommend?

2. Steve_Stevens

Steve_Stevens

Tic Tac Toe. The algorithm is easy, and it will teach pretty much everything: UI, lists, methods, classes, separation of data, Actions etc... Besides, if a chicken at the fair can play it, it HAS to be easy to code!

YBtheS and Socrates like this.
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd do something like Flappy Birds or Doodle Jump.

tylerguitar75, Ryiah and Mauri like this.
  4. koirat

koirat

When I was teaching, we made kind of simplified snooker as our first game.
    It was using physics.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

tylerguitar75, JoeStrout and Socrates like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Using free artworks, you can do a 3rd person platformer in 1h, it maximizes impact. Due to physics being handled by the engine, you can make something very cheap very easily with little code. Also due to editor it remove fear, because they quickly experiment level by just dragging thing. By the time they get invested playing legit with the level they are too invested to recoil at programming. You just parent the camera, use a physics collider with axis rotation frozen for the character. Then read input to move around, jump (by applying force, gravity will then take over) introduce the notion of bool and states, then firing introduce instancing and interactions. Once that's done, give them the challenge to make collectible using what they learnt (collision, interaction).

Great to also introduce modeling with one more hour, ie they do gingerbread character they will decorate by using the unwrap and ms paint.

Tested on 11years old with blitz 3d and unity

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Learn section has very good tutorials that span about everything you can do with Unity, at least all the basics.
    click on the "Details" tab to know more about the projects.

I have made the first one and it's really good for beginners; I haven't tried the second but it shouldn't be much different. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2019
    JoeStrout and Socrates like this.
  8. steve-thud

steve-thud

All the suggestions and links are great. Just be careful about the "short amount of time" bit. The more you practise, the more you'll commit stuff to memory. Saying that, I would say it's better at this point to make a small game to try out new Unity concepts for the first time, then when you've completed that to start a new game to reinforce what you've learned.

It took me six months of using Unity when I first started game dev to not have to rely on googling everything!

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

There is so many great tuts on YouTube to get you started. When doing tuts I recommend to do it three times. First skim watch it to get big picture, next follow along and Google any issues you got. Then when u finish do something similar but with your own spin.

This seems slow but it's like stepping stones and, for me at least, is faster than just leaping straight off the cliff and hoping I can learn to fly.

neoshaman likes this.
  10. tonydinendash

tonydinendash

An Rpg is probably the best way because you need to learn everything to make it work.

I'd recommend sharp accent and just focusing on one video of his until you understand the concept completely than moving on.

Same with the unity tutorial just watch one and focus until you completely understand it. An example is the variable tutorial. If your making a game you characters needs stats like run speed, health, stamina, or other things like reach. Variables can be used for all of that stuff.