Search Unity

Feedback What keybinds should I use in my game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by SpyderManToo, Aug 15, 2021.

1. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

I have a fps game that is supposed to be a fast paced game.

here are the current keybinds
    Shoot - mouse 0 (left click)
    ads - mouse 1 (right click)
    switch weapons - respective number keys or scrollwheel
    movement - wasd (duh) or arrow keys (y would u want to do this, unless ur left handed)
    left control- crouch or crouch and slide (if you are pressing w when pressing left control)
    shift - sprint (just increases max speed)
    space - jump (pretty obvious ngl)
    and last but not least (drumroll please)

c - grappling hook!

however, the things i am worried about is the grappling hook

it would be quite hard to move right and use the hook at the same time so that leaves the question, what keybind should I use for it? i used to have it as its seperate gun that you could swap to but i feel like its more fun if you always have the ability. this leads to the problem stated above, so, what should I use?
    I have honestly no idea because i want it to be used with the left hand (the movement hand pretty much) but every single finger is used up.

2. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

3. YBtheS

YBtheS

You could have it so that the player can choose what key that they want the grappling hook to be bound to.

4. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

I dont think that would be that good of an idea because then the player would be in the same situation i am in rn

5. spiney199

spiney199

The standard you should look to achieve for all games is to allow your player to customise their keybindings. Not only on the surface does this allow your players to change inputs to their preference, it also quietly (in most cases) allows players with alternate input devices (which can include players with physical handicaps) to work with your game.

This also may be less of an issue of where to lay out controls, but how many different inputs there are. Perhaps consolidating inputs might be the answer.

And my least favourite answer I can think of is: Use Middle-mouse button.

CJ_Nelson, TonyLi and Martin_H like this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Rebindable keys are mandatory. If you don't include them, you'll receive endless complaints.

Set crouch to toggle, bind it to C, bind grappling hook to left control and as secondary binding also to middle mouse button.
    Maybe put a switch in the options menu to fire grappling hook when pressing jump during ADS, if it makes sense for your game. And I recommend defaulting that option to off.

Joe-Censored, Not_Sure and TonyLi like this.
  7. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I ditched crouch and sprint in my game because it wasn’t fitting my desired feel, but when I did have it I had:

shift - sprint
    Ctrl - grapple
    C - crouch
    space - jump
    Wasd- move
    F - use and reload
    A - melee
    E - grenade

was pretty happy with that set up.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This

I don't use WASD personally, so wouldn't play the game without a robust key binding customization system.

9. c-Row

c-Row

I suggest taking a look at other well known FPS's which have implemented those mechanics and learn from their keybinds. Judging from your list I would recommend Titanfall 2 as a good example as the grappling hook is a core mechanic there.

10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

just roll with those key bindings. after hours of play testing you might get an idea of what improvements could be made. if when you make an experimental change it is not clearly, undeniably, universally better, then forget it and continue with what you got, testing has shown it's the best.

implement the custom key bindings before you deliver to other people and continue on.

save your big thinking's for big problems. don't waste energy fighting problems that are easy to solve with play testing.

Joe-Censored likes this.