Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your prefered plugin for VR (PC) in 2019.4 LTS?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by FlightOfOne, Sep 9, 2020.

?

What VR plugin would you use to support Valve, Oculus and WMR headsets and controllers?

1. XR Management with Other input (Please explain) solution

40.0%
  2. Oculus Plugin (No XR Management)

20.0%
  3. Steam VR Plugin (No XR Management)

40.0%
  4. Other third party solution (?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

I ask this because even though we have spent a good number of years refining VR + Unity, we still do not have robust solution for Unity and supporting multi VR devices. My experience has been that one thing or another always doesn't work, either Unity input doesn't support SteamVR XR plugin or XR management doesn't support something else or something is not compatible with something. . Its always one thing or another...

All I want to do is support Valve (Index, vive), Oculus and WMR controllers. My biggest gripe is with the input, Steam VR is easy to develop but pain to deploy, sometimes the controller manifests doesn't work. I wish we didn't have to go through so many layers to get a controller working. There was some hope when the new input system was working with the Steam VR XR plugin and now that no longer works either.

Currently I am looking at the Oculus plugin. It seems to be more stable than most others and they seem to be actively taking care of this plugin. Any thoughts on this?

All I want is the the headsets and the controllers to work. I do not care about other scripts and features like grabbing things or pushing buttons that these packages provide -just want the hardware and inputs to work without a hitch.

What would you use if you start a project today?

Thanks!!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

We're supporting that platform set in Ilysia, and we do it with the legacy XR system — no plugins at all.

3. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Wait, you are not using ANY plugins? and just to confirm, it works for Value Index too, e.g. all the buttons?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I think so, though I don't have an Index controller and our game only uses a handful of buttons.

FlightOfOne likes this.