Search Unity

What is your most frightening experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Infeecctteedd, Apr 20, 2011.

?

What do you think contributes most?

1. Visual stuff - what you can see.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Sound stuff - what you can hear.

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Infeecctteedd

Infeecctteedd

Hello :cool:

I'm going to be starting a Unity project soon and scaring people (or making them jump) is going to be my sole intention. I was gonna start doing some research on the internet into what exactly us humans are scared most by or how to scare people effectively. Then I thought of asking you lovely people what your scariest ever experience has been. Hopefully this way I can get some inspiration. It can be in a game, film or in real life, whatever you like! :eek:

I quite honestly can't remember my own, maybe that's because I'm constantly in fear of a zombie apocalypse...

2. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

This thing.

Don't ask me why, but when I was a kid and watched scooby doo, this freaked the living daylights out of me.

3. drewradley

drewradley

When I moved to a farm from the city as a wee lad, I encountered a humongous albino snake, all coiled up and hissing. In hindsight it was probably a tiny little garter snake but to a small child it was huge! I still can't even look at a picture of a snake without getting shivers.

4. InvaderStudios

InvaderStudios

What scares me the most in video games are things that happen really fast.

For example, a zombie game with slow zombies, not scary. A zombie game with fast zombies (aka half-life 2 fast zombies) makes it much scarier.

5. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

not being able to fightback and having to run or hide is a good mechanic...maybe not for the entirety of the game.

6. Cnaff

Cnaff

lol can't believe I instantly recognized that xD!

.........anyways!

I would say doing something like.... You go down some stairs, turn to your right and catch a glimpse of something running by the doorway in another room. Then the lights go off, and you have to wander around down there. I think something like that would be pretty creepy :)!

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

Just put some death metal music its enough to scare the kids.

8. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

This is a good question, and fun too, lol.

Spiders :p They're just not right, especially the big bastards that seem to fight back. Though I don't mind Tarantula's, probably cause there's no danger of one turning up here.

Also dentists, but not the drill, the damn tube thing the assistant sticks down your throat.

Body Horror. things that "could happen in some way" really bug me, but not in a scare kind of way, or a gross out kind of way, it's, I dunno what it would come under? Things that just ain't right. The human centipede for example, it didn't scare me, but it made me feel very uncomfortable. HOSTEL was the same, Brain Dead (Dead Alive in the US right?) the bit with the old dead woman and the soup.. yeah that kind of thing I hate. icky stuff and eating. Can't stand it. I think it stems from being forced to eat rice pudding at school when I was little. I kept telling them I felt sick.. they didn't listen... they did a few minutes later.. Funny how much it resembled the rice pudding in the bowl under it, even though I'd not touched any.. Annnnyhoo..

Also my imagination running away with itself. I only have to spend a few seconds thinking about the dark space beyond the door in front of me, and I'll be imagining all sorts. The thought of a "something" staring back at me makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I don't like leaving a window open because it fuels the imagination that "something" might get in, and I'll be doing whatever, turn around and see "something" just looking at me.. hell I'm getting all weirded out just writing this now, lol. Asshole :p

Volcano's, or rather the feeling of the ground beneath me falling away to molten rock and there being no place safe to run to. I always have those nightmares, dunno what they mean. Don't like them though.

The absolute scariest thing I would say, was when I experienced (just once thank god!) sleep paralysis, and up to that point I thought everyone who claimed to be abducted were making it up to get attention. But omg it REALLY does feel like you are, no word of a lie. You can't move, you can't make a sound, you really genuinely do hallucinate what looks like the gray aliens moving around you, you see things that can't possibly happen, like the room warps but doesn't warp, and you can see around things you can't from where you're laying. I was seeing them stood next to me, one was looking at me from under the door (completely impossible, but somehow it was fully possible during it, and made complete sense). The entire experience is absolutely horrific. If I hadn't already known what sleep paralysis was, I would have believed I'd been abducted by aliens the next morning, it was that scary and that realistic, and you can't scream out or move or do anything to stop it until it wears off on its own, at which point you're so exhausted you fall asleep and.. you wake up in your bed as if nothing happened, hence all these abduction stories you hear. I believe there's life out there, and did once see a UFO along with a number of others, but abductions? Nah, that's sleep paralysis for sure.

So if you want to scare the crap out of me, perfectly emulate that... I'll kill you if you do, but you'll get a good scare out of me first ;)

Oh and someone else once said, I think on this forum. "The only bad thing about a zombie apocalypse, is not being allowed to admit how cool it would be"

So true

9. jonbonazza

jonbonazza

F***ing spiders...

10. Jessy

Jessy

I saw Fire in the Sky when I was ten, and the abduction scene made me sleep with my head under the covers for years, afterwards. :(

I don't recall ever having sleep paralysis, but I have had night terrors throughout my life. It's actually kind of cool, to see things that were in your mind, in the room with you, when your eyes open, but it still freaks me out every time! :eek:

11. ivanzu

ivanzu

Well i saw UFO when i was like 6-7.It was pretty big and had some strange smokey color,then like a last month this year i saw exactly the same UFO on some kind of TV show i couldnt fall a sleep.

12. HolBol

HolBol

What scares me most is the thought of eternal punishment.

Or waking up with no computer.

13. ivanzu

ivanzu

Ahahaha or having an electrical short and you PC gets in flames.

14. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Now you're entering the domain of pure horror.

Hard drive crash, GPU burnout, powercut after eight hours of hard work and forgetting to save, NO INTERNET.

15. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I'm going to have to agree with spiders. Evil evil things.

16. Blacklight

Blacklight

Wandering in a cave in minecraft, everything is silent. Then having that silence broken suddenly by a Skeleton coming out of no-where and firing an arrow. That arrow shooting sound makes me jump every time.

You should also look into Amnesia The Dark Descent.

17. niosop2

niosop2

Scary stuff?

Finding out your GF is pregnant.
    Hearing about a fatal car crash when your daughter is on the same highway.
    Getting a call from an ex letting you know she just tested positive for HIV.
    Having bugs suddenly start crawling out of all your orifices.
    Getting pulled over when you have a dead hooker and 12 kilos of cocaine in the back seat.

18. trooper

trooper

Aliens particulary of the grey little man variety.

Signs was scary to me.

19. DavidB

DavidB

Aren't these one and the same thing? :D

20. glitchy

glitchy

Sounds strange but in games deep water freaks me out. I think it has something to do with not knowing what is below you in that deep dark abyss.

21. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

My biggest fear is the existential dilemma: death, eternity and nonexistence. I get through the day by just not thinking about it, but on the occasion that the thoughts seep in, the horror consumes me.

22. ippdev

ippdev

Feminazis. Corporate website contracts.

BTH

23. 3dDude

3dDude

A creeper sneaking up on you when you have diamond in minecraft :p

No seriously, Hmmmmm. I think I would have to agree. waking up with no computer.

24. Padge

Padge

A decent scare tactic is to uproot what the player assumes is safe. An example, there is a point in FEAR 2 where you are walking down a corridor, and you hear other footsteps than your own ( also creepy) and you turn around and immediately behind you is a "the ring"/"the grudge" like lady that reaches out for you and then instantly disappears. The scary factor is that you assume you are safe from somewhere you already deemed safe, but are really not.

A similar tactic that might work well is changing the environment around the player. If the player is going to be traveling around the same general area, running back and forth the same landmark, then the player will become accustomed to that landmark. At one point, when the player passes that landmark again, something can be different about it that the player immediately notices ( maybe a staple of an enemy that every time something of similar style is seen, it means an enemy is near). An example can be from the first FEAR where you run through a series of offices all clean and normal, talk to someone, but then on the way back, everything is messed up, papers everywhere, and bloody footprints on the walls and ceilings, in addition to several bodies hung from the ceiling "predator style".

My final idea has already been pointed out in an earlier post, but the feeling of helplessness. Nothing is more frightening than using all of your top-notch skills and weapons to do all you can to escape or destroy your enemy, all to no avail, so the only option would be to run. And if you want to make it even scarier, make the player unable to run away. Enclosed room with a giant spider and no way to defend yourself - horror "if presented the right way".

25. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Being stuck at a Furries convention for an entire weekend.

/thread

Also vertigo, heights bother me.

26. ant001

ant001

IRC...

ant001: may code still dosen't work :(
    mike_mac: i have no idea whats wrong

OMG! wakes from the nightmare, luckly it was just a dream.

27. Pip-Robbins

Pip-Robbins

Losing my internet connection!

28. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

do these actually exist... not that I'm interested.... sigh

29. strobe

strobe

Erm, my hard drive frying

30. Infeecctteedd

Infeecctteedd

Haha judging by most of the responses so far I should make it so the shortcut, rather than playing the game, just shuts down the computer with a message like "Critical System Failure - Automatic Shutdown" to freak you all out. What happens in the game is irrelevant.

31. Thomas GD

Thomas GD

The only thing that ever made me have nightmares is from this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHeZCEFwhI
    (Mars Attacks!) Its supposed to be a humoristic movie. But I saw this when I was 12. I can say I looked under my bed alot to check if those things weren't under it then.

32. stimarco

stimarco

"Threads". I was a kid when the film was first shown in the UK. I saw it again recently and it's still the scariest film I've ever seen. The effects are still terrifying (although the low budget does show in places). Unlike the pathetic US attempt at an anti-nuclear movie, the British one doesn't pull any punches and brings a whole new meaning to "unremittingly grim".

Forget your "Saw" franchises or your "Friday the Thirteenths".

Just watch "Threads".

33. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, there are furry conventions. I used to run a small print on demand press and wasn't too picky about what I printed. One of the first jobs I had was to do a furry comic. They told all their furry friends and soon I had more furry comics than I cared to ever see in my life!

34. Vert

Vert

+1 I hated games that took me over deep water. I didn't know what was there, and it freaked me out. That and I don't like deep water in real life either...

I say sound does it most though. Its not what you can see that really scares you, its that imminent sense of dread you have and letting your imagination do all the work to scare you. Amnesia: The Dark Descent does this apparently really well. You don't see the monsters often, just hear them OFTEN. Watched some footage in a well lit room full of people and it still sucked me in and started to creep me out.

Horror is best done by letting your imagination run wild and then it can be topped off by making it much worse or solidifying your fears. At least that works for the lot of us who have fear of the unknown, especially when the unknown sounds threatening.

35. Quietus2

Quietus2

I think the original DOOM pulled this off quite well with only XGA graphics available. From flickering lights to dark patches, the game really set the mood. Giving an evil beholder a shotgun to the face as it's floating about, having it explode into a pile of meat was just icing on the cake.

As far as the most terrifying experience it would probably be driving along I95 at 70+ mph in a Jeep, noticing the guy who was just in the lane to the left of me had lost control of his car and was now sliding sideways down the highway in front of me. Only instance in my life where I experienced bullet time IRL.

36. Gundark

Gundark

The only game that have scare me for real was Undying (Clive Barker and Spielberg), and one of the best games I have ever played. Playing in the night and hearing sounds of those houndlike creatures really gave me a chilles. The second thing that scared me (or excited me) was when my pistol ran out of bullets and had to load it ( 4 sec. while hounds are tearing your flesh ). After that, i had much fun in watching my friends playing that game with headphones on their ears. It was like watching a person hit by electricity.
    Other from that, i don't belive that things that scares you in real life would have the same effect in game. Infact, it could be often comical. But the scariest things can make your own imagination.

37. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

That reminds me of this guy, which scared the bejezus out of me as a kid.

38. carking1996

carking1996

My pc hard drive failing. That has happened to me before.

39. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I experienced sleep paralysis once as well. In my case it was at the hour (and moment) of fully waking up, so when it ended I was fully awake.

I read about it, and its relation to the original definition of the word nightmare, the day before. Nightmares and the myths of incubi/succubi come from experiencing sleep paralysis, also called nocturnal terror; you can no longer move, and the feeling is best described as "a malevolent presence sitting on your chest".

I can try to describe it, but it barely hints at how the experience actually feels. You are literally paralyzed; you retain feeling and awareness of your body and your surroundings, but despite your best efforts, you can't move. Your automatic reflexes, like breathing and heartbeat, happen on their on and you cannot consciously alter them either. Since you cannot breathe faster as you panic, it gives the impression of something sitting on your chest and preventing you to take deeper breaths. Something malevolent, intent on keeping you there for what feels like forever. And until it fades away, you are trapped inside this limp flesh prison that your body just became, and have no idea whether you'll be able to move it again or not. I have yet to experience something more horrible than this. I also have yet to experience a more positive feeling than when the paralysis faded away.

Even the scariness of having to swim into potentially dangerous waters (try The Jaws Demo (webplayer), it conveys the impression just fine) doesn't come anywhere close to losing motor control over your own body. At least you -can move-.

I don't think sleep paralysis can really be put into a videogame however; we are too used to losing control of the avatar for random reasons like death, cutscenes, loading screens, etc. Besides, it's only a proxy we lose control over, not our own bodies.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  40. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Skuttering, Or climax music.. When your getting closer to something the music builds which builds tension and your waiting for something to jump out and S*** you up. But then nothing appears :)

"Alone in the dark" <-- That game scared me when I was younger on PS1.

41. Infeecctteedd

Infeecctteedd

False buildup is quite a commonly used technique, but now everybody is so aware of it so it's odd to implement. You have to admit, in films particularly, there's that bit where the tension music is soaring and their hand is on the door handle and you just think to yourself "It's not gonna be something scary is it?"

I think a really good technique I'm seeing a lot lately is random surprises timed just after you relax, almost messing with your expectations. The latest Harry Potter film did it well with the snake in the house (if you've seen it, you should know what I'm talking about). They're standing there for about 20 seconds after it's fallen down the stairs and there's this time period in which you expect it to come up, and you're just sitting there thinking "ANY SECOND NOW..." and it jumped up, I kid you not, the second I relaxed and made me scream like a little girl.

42. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Yeah, I S*** my pants when that snake came out, Im really looking forward to the next part.

I must say the film "Grudge" Does a great job of that, You never know when its going to show up which is freaky

43. Meltdown

Meltdown

Surfing in the sea and something large brushes against your leg when you're sitting on your board, and the water is too murky to see what it was...

44. DallonF

DallonF

Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime 1. The way the room goes dark, then the intense music starts, and then the fact that they're practically invincible early in the game...
    Worse yet, when they first started appearing, it was night, I was alone at home, and I only had a few lights on. Nearly jumped out of my skin.

I vowed never to play a Metroid game at night after that.