Search Unity

What is "Your dream?" In just 10 words

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gigiwoo, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Economics does account for automation. It simply means you have a higher return for a lower investment. And if the general population doesn't feel that on their wallets, the job of the government (in a capitalist society) is to create conditions whereby someone can take advantage of the opportunity to provide those automated services at a lower cost. Economics is not an invention, it is simply the attribution of relative value to goods and services. And a situation where you have a high return for virtually no cost is still a valid economic state. The same way that a building a 99.9% efficient engine doesn't invalidate the field of mechanical engineering.

The main problem is that there are huge problems in a capitalist society when there are collective issues that don't directly advantage anyone to invest in fixing. The environment, as you mentioned, is one. Another is the education of children. These issues can only be fixed by a strong government which imposes 'sanctions' on everyone for the benefit of the whole. But who is going to vote for a government like that, when they can vote for someone who can tell them a good story about why it isn't really an issue at all?

2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Why should civilization collapse? The current economic framework will have to go, but that is sort of expected. Everything changes. And it is far more likely that people's expectations and lifestyles will simply change to accomodate a lower cost of production.

3. jpthek9

jpthek9

If 90% of the human race ceases to be useful - in fact becomes detrimental with resource consumption and carbon emission - what's the most practical thing to do?

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Detrimental? To who? When you've got the ability to produce anything you want very cheaply, what good would it do you to have the rest of the population disappear? The way that you describe the possibility of people becoming "detrimental with resource consumption and carbon emission" to those in power sounds more like a situation of scarcity and danger than one of abundance.

The society that an individual lives in is their reference point, the source of their gratification, the object on which they exercise their power and receive their rewards. Only a very sick mind would destroy that to their own detriment.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Big money, big women, big fun.

Master-Frog and DugelStudios like this.
  6. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I think labor could be left to machines and creative tasks can be left to people since the power input for processing power output on creative tasks is still much better for the human cpu. Also, I think a reasonable shift would be.... a stipend. You can work for extra cash, but you can survive without it. There's a first world country already doing that, and the technology isn't even there yet. The world is a nice place in some spaces :)

For efficient solar cells of the future, that input will be practically zero :p

I'll believe them if they and their entire family drink the water they claim is fine.

7. goat

goat

That's how a lot of the oil rich countries are already, besides the extremely rich and the welfare recipients in the US and industrialized countries and yet they still have massive social problems. They need to get serious about modern law and humane treatment of people and animals because most of the world isn't too far behind these oil countries with the government now free to deficit spend to pay for development that makes human live easier, safer, and healthier - there is still all these violence, crime, and war problems. Law, immigration, and customs enforcement will have to be largely recorded and automated to curb the abuses. Big Brother will be for real but in a very technically factual way and the only ones moaning will be those that were abusing that information vacuum to begin with.

8. Billy4184

Billy4184

Heh, but that's exactly what you get with your average democratic politician.

I'm not saying democracy is bad per se, it is just that collective problems are very difficult to solve democratically because people will simply vote for the politician who is least likely to take money from them to solve the problem. There aren't any easy solutions. It is simply a fact that the democratic horse is not very good at choosing where to pull the cart, but the mere idea of any other form of government is unspeakable.

And in regards to the future of employment in an automated society, I'm not sure exactly what the outcome will be or if it would be a really great outcome but even the most badly-behaving governments need a functional society and the governments who didn't keep theirs functional didn't last long. To be perfectly honest, I think there's much more danger of there being an epidemic of boredom in such a society than from anything else. In fact a lot of the more colorful conspiracy theories these days IMO are symptoms of a population that is unable to accept how boring and monotonous their society has become.

9. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Don't worry about the future. One day, you will all follow a charismatic madman who will offer solutions to your problems. He will become too powerful and utilize your resources to secure his authority. When all of the governments of the world are under this single authority, everything turns to crap and there's nothing left to do but tear it all down and start from scratch.

And that will be the last war of our age. The last chapter in our story of corporations and democracy. Of profit driven controlled war. Of poisoning our own people and selling them a cure. Of profiting from poverty in the name of Business. Money is good morality. Money is holiness and truth. Anything is justifiable if it is profitable. These are our things to own. As we cannot fathom the wanton barbarism of antiquity, so will our descendents look upon our unapologetic decadence.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Really? Food typically has a shelf life. Money typically does not. You can indefinitely stockpile more and more money and this increases your wealth and power. You can not do the same with food. At some point, the only purpose* and gain in gathering more food is being able to supply it to others. That's not at all true of money, and that fundamental difference is a huge one.

* Aside from stockpiling cans and other unperishables for use after the apocalypse.

Farelle likes this.
  11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Execute all of the non peaceful individuals. Problem solved :3

ARREST AND RE-EDUCATE THEM

I think I'd be a good dictator.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not for long. You'd stop being a good anything after step one. ;)

13. goat

goat

Back to the topic at hand, since I don't aspire to be Bill Gates, I'll settle for comfortable and safe obscurity and as defined by the modern industrial governments and mass media, a life of poverty all the world dreamed of prior to 1950.

14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Execute the non-peacefuls? I think I could find some...

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yes, but by executing them you are yourself being non-peaceful, and thus...

Tomnnn and Master-Frog like this.
  16. echologin

echologin

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...

Master-Frog likes this.
  17. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Do you always begin conversations this way?

18. voltage

voltage

Good health. Great games. Happy wife. No kids. Profit.

19. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

As a mortal being, sacrifice for a better future is all I can leave behind.

Want to know if that mawage will last? Flip a coin :p

20. Billy4184

Billy4184

Sometimes I think that there would be a lot of people horribly disappointed if society actually did pull through without a lot of fanfare. However I agree with the sentiments of your second paragraph. Society has failed to find a way to curb the negative effects of capitalism and democracy (and I put those two together because they are based on the same notion - that the 'customer' is always right). But since both are relatively new, it is possible we should cut them a little slack.

And everything has always been in a state of flux. The universe expands and contracts, empires rise and rot and fall, people are born and die so that their children can do things a little differently. That civilizations destroy themselves isn't the most important thing, the most important thing is that the next one is a little better.

21. Farelle

Farelle

thanks for that :D it was the last puzzle piece missing for me to understand something ;D

22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Concrete wealth can be hoarded for a long time, and money does not have an infinite lifetime or a consistent value, so I don't agree with your point that there is a vast difference.

I think it is a little bit strange to believe that a country like the US is hoarding money when its debt is the biggest in the world. If anything it is hoarding military power. And when you hear that people like Bill Gates are worth billions of dollars, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have that money sitting in the bank collecting dust. It is the value of the means of production that they own, which produces something which people obviously like to consume which they find very useful. I don't agree that there is a problem of hoarding money, if anything there is a problem of overconsumption of goods and services, quite to the contrary.

23. goat

goat

The government and business elite aren't hoarding money, but are deficit spending to try and enable security and health. Money hoarding is really happening in the Middle East and other resource rich kingdoms for thousands of years now. When you live in a desert or temperate or arctic environment you hoard. Squirrels hoard. Birds hoard. As soon as you leave a lush tropical rain forest you hoard. Even in tropical forests you hoard. To stop others from hoarding you kill them and then you can hoard what they had. It's backwards, it's antiquated, and its needs human intelligence and restraint and impartial laws to stop it.

If such aggressive over hoarding cultures are ever tamed at high levels then to tame at low levels one develops entertainment and other diversionary products that are good for stopping that behavior among laypeople. The problem then becomes avoiding drugs and other forms of violence from bored people. UFC and NFL induced dementia and crippled bodies anyone?

24. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

This thread sure took a strange turn. We've now covered fish, squirrels, and robots. Dream on.
    Gigi

dogzerx2 and Billy4184 like this.
  25. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's a thread about dreams, anything can happen in a dream!

Gigiwoo likes this.
  26. SuperVoximus

SuperVoximus

1UP Half-Life and Bully.

Or at least make something up to par with them.

Doesn't even have to be a game.

I mean the Harry Potter books/films were sick.

I suppose the idea is to create a world that is so inviting and well made that it, sort of comes to life in a way. I mean for me, Hogwarts is immortal. You people know what I mean goddamit!

I've edited this post over a dozen times lol

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  27. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

For me? I will be the best at one-man game development.

I'm not in this for money, or high ideals, though over the course of my journey I can attain both. Total mastery is what it's all about; to understand how to think about technologies; to understand why my players choose my games; to create works both beautiful and functional; ultimately, to consistently, flawlessly deliver on all of the above.

I'm in the game development game to win, even though there's no explicit victory condition.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  28. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Create an RPG that is as open-ended as a MMORPG

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  29. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Be the MVP of my one man development team (sic) . Do I get bonus points for having the sic get me to 10 words.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  30. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

+5!

31. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

make it make sense

32. Murgilod

Murgilod

Eliminate pooping so I save a fortune on toilet paper.

33. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Without pooping, there'd be no poo-pourri!

34. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Do absolutely nothing; realize it is all I ever wanted.

Yes I think the guy in Office Space had the right idea.

Master-Frog likes this.
  35. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Eliminate toilet paper to make a fortune on bidets.

36. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Is that how you really spell bidet? When I first read what you wrote, I thought it was some synonym for shells.

37. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Yep. A lot nicer sounding than "european toilet that shoots water at your butt".

38. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Ok, new meme.. I am going to write ´American Bidet´ and put it on the picture of a garden hose.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  39. grizzly

grizzly

Literally, this is what I dream...:cool: