Search Unity

what is wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Feyhu, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Feyhu

Feyhu

float travel = (travelSpeed *= 10 *= Time.deltaTime);
    ^^^
    located under the update function in a c# script. it keeps saying "Assets/Scripts/UnitControlAlly.cs(18,49): error CS0131: The left-hand side of an assignment must be a variable, a property or an indexer"

2. eTag96

eTag96

you must do
    Code (csharp):
    1. float travel = (travelSpeed * 10 * Time.deltaTime);
    simple.

3. Rafes

Rafes

You can't perform two assignments in the same line is my guess. I've never tried it. An assignment is when you use a single "=" sign to assign a value to a variable. For completeness... A "==" (double equals) sign is a comparison.

I think you want
    PHP:
    float travel travelspeed 10 Time.deltaTime

4. eTag96

eTag96

which is what I said? :D (basically)

5. Rafes

Rafes

Cheater. I had to type useful information which delayed my post by 0.2341 seconds, which you needed to win...

6. eTag96

eTag96

haha, it's not a contest! whatever helps him... the quick fix :p or the info. :D thanks for really helping him though!

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Should have pooled your useful information, which would have kept the speed up. I recommend you try http://poolmanager.path-o-logical.com/ - works well... oh wait! :D

8. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Depending on your language, and most C-derivatives support the syntax, you can perform two assignments on a single line. The error is not in the assignments but in the fact that two calculations are attempting to be performed, which is a clear syntax error.

9. Rafes

Rafes

@Hippo: Lol. Totally. I'm firing up the Profiler next time to see where I lost those ms
    @Justin: True, but even if it is legal, I would argue it is bad form. Makes things hard to read.

10. Feyhu

Feyhu

thanks guys

11. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

@Rafes: I avoid at all costs style discussions because it is a holy war over whose is better/best. :) All syntax usage has its place, it depends on how you use it and how you abuse it that matters. Good software development is not just about knowing how to write code that solves a problem. :)