Search Unity

What is Vector3 Normalize?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by topaz7, Dec 29, 2012.

1. topaz7

topaz7

I'm sorry but I'm not that good in MATHS.

2. Camronas

Camronas

If a vector becomes normalized it keeps its direction but its length is set to either 1 or 0 depending on factors.

horrormage and Westland like this.
  3. topaz7

topaz7

Thanks but I'm still confused. What is the direction on vector?(I thought it was a point in world space) and what is the length?

4. Camronas

Camronas

5. etoreo

etoreo

Think of it this way... a Vector holds 2 pieces of information - a point in space and a magnitude. The magnitude is the length of the line formed between (0, 0, 0) and the point in space. If you "normalize" a vector (also known as the "unit vector" - Google it), the result is a line that starts a (0, 0, 0) and "points" to your original point in space. If you were to take the length of this "pointer" it would equal 1 unit length. This is helpful for a lot of different reasons.

mango_khan, jipjax and Westland like this.
  6. topaz7

topaz7

Thank you very much both of you. Finally understood what it is. So, a vector can only contain either magnitude or point?

7. etoreo

etoreo

A Vector contains both pieces of information, a normalized vector has a magnitude of 1.

mariodebono likes this.
  8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

A Vector2 is either a point or a direction, depending on what you use it for. For example, if it's (5, 0), then it's either a point at x=5, y=0, or it's a vector pointing along the positive x axis with a slope of 0 and a length of 5. In this case it's not normalized since the length is greater than 1. If you normalize it, then it will become (1, 0) and will have a length of 1.

--Eric

9. topaz7

topaz7

Great thanks!