Search Unity

What is up with ProBuilder? Bugs all over in Unity 2019.2.16f1

Discussion in 'World Building' started by GazingUp, Jan 2, 2020.

1. GazingUp

GazingUp

I am growing frustrated with ProBuilder. I was so excited since last week, and have been doing nothing but watch tutorials about it and polybrush. I've been trying so hard to use it, but every time I undo (Alt + z) it just keeps bugging out in the editor. It keeps fluctuating between old and new changes and sometimes goes back to the old, or sometimes goes back to the new. And Triangulating my proBuilder mesh sometimes blackens the entire object - deleting the same mesh and recreating it (no added geometry) and triangulation works when I limit my selected vertices.

Can someone please help out here? I'm using the latest everything (At least I think I am) but I really want to use probuilder and polybrush instead of Unity terrain for my terrain. Otherwise I am going to have to stick with the unity terrain and blender my meshes.

2. GazingUp

GazingUp

So I think I found out why my mesh is turning black when trying to triangulate. There seems to be some limit to how many faces/verts I can select to triangulate? The error I was getting was an out of bounds index array error. The undo thing is still an issue though. It will only work to the last change I made with one mouse hold. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. But I take back with the frustration. I see the benefit here now. Make quick meshes, and model in Blender. Will have to dig further! Excited again.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Can you let me know what version of ProBuilder you are using? Also, I would recommend (strongly) to upgrade to the 19.3 if possible :)

4. GazingUp

GazingUp

19.3? :( I am using whatever is on the package manager. It shows ProBuilder 4.0.5 [2019.2 verified]
    Where's 19.3? I'm using Unity Hub and whatever it gave me as the latest (or so what I thought was latest)

5. GazingUp

GazingUp

Okay. I got 19.3 and now I am seeing even more problems. Why are shadows not working at all in the probuilder objects? They seem to only work on their own meshes but not onto other meshes. Can you provide what settings I need to make these objects cast shadows on other objects? I have seen this same complaint on older versions - seems it has not been fixed. Sometimes I see a cube cast shadows, but then later it doesn't cast shadows onto the plane ground - all built with probuilder.

Update:
    Okay, more discovery here. Apparently the shadows were being cast, but my two plane meshes were so large that the camera was far away so thats why I didn't see the shadows. But on closer look, the shadows were there. I was tweaking the shadow distance , changing it to 500 shows them but if I move the camera further away they disappear once again. How do video games display object meshes in distances with shadows cast? Do I just put a humongous shadow distance number? What's the performance catch here?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yup, as you are seeing, the usual answer is "no shadows at far distance". Or, baked in shadows/lighting. Everything is a compromise on something :) Glad you found the solution/issue!

7. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I'm finding ProBuilder (4.1.2) extremely buggy with 2019.3 + HDRP. Basically any undo operation totally breaks it. If I select a component (vertex or edge) and move it and then try to undo, I will see the ProBuilder wireframe undo, but the actual faces of the mesh don't change at all. From there things just keep behaving more unpredictably. It's pretty much unusable in this state for all but the simplest operations where I know with certainty I won't have to undo anything.

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Aaron! If you can create an exact series of steps to repro the problem, that'd be very helpful for us! You can then add a bug via "Help > Report a Bug" - thanks!

9. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

I can absolutely confirm. Pro Builder is currently bugged. latest version via the Package Manager.

As soon as I import ProBuilder and open the ProBuilder window the Transform Gizmo disappears in Unity. I can't move, rotate or scale anything. As soon as I remove ProBuilder everything is normal again. In the debug window there are no errors or warnings.

10. yashwanthd1998

yashwanthd1998

so many bugs...I remove on of the sides but in play mode the mesh is still there even though it is not scene view.Ive just started learning probuilder

Attached Files:

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      281.5 KB
      Views:
  11. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

So I tested it on "Unity 2019.3.3f1" and "2019.3.0fb" on two machines with the same result. As soon as the ProBuilder Window appears the Transform Tools ( move, scale and rotate ) are no longer selectable. Very annoying. this has to be fixed at some point, the problem has been around for a while now.