Search Unity

What is unity's definition of "Standalone support for WMR headsets"?

Discussion in 'VR' started by JoelGab, Apr 9, 2019.

1. JoelGab

JoelGab

We have an app that supports WMR headsets, however it requires SteamVR to run.
    We can't have our app as a UWP app because it is VR and desktop multiuser, which UWP straight up doesn't support.

The problem with SteamVR is our application is VR software for architects, so getting steam installed in big architectural firms is not a very easy task and the bridge itself is just extremely unreliable and buggy.

It would be great if unity supported WindowsMR natively for desktop standalone builds, that way no additional software is needed, except ours. That extra layer of complexity just seems so unnecessary.

I saw a post saying native WMR support will make its way into 2019, do they mean, native support BUT you have to build for UWP, or do they mean they will support standalone exe builds?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What do you mean by multiuser and how does UWP not support it?

Note: I'm just curious. I don't work on WindowsMR at Unity so I can't really answer your real question.

JoelGab likes this.
  3. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

We will support building standalone and UWP builds for Windows MR in furture 2019 builds

ROBYER1 and JoelGab like this.
  4. JoelGab

JoelGab

Sorry I will articulate myself better :)

Basically, our software can have someone in VR, and someone on the desktop simultaneously.

One person on the computer pinging locations, and guiding them through there home in VR, and even walking around alongside them whilst they're in VR on the same PC.

We also have a project manager scene that isn't VR supported, VR is manually activated upon loading into our viewer scene.

What we learned from the Microsoft hackathon is, UWP apps can only be:
    • VR Only, all desktop cameras are overridden by VR headset. So we cannot get passed our manager scene as the VR player in the WMR headset actually steals the main camera in that scene.
    • Or desktop only.
    With standalone unity builds, I can have a scene that is just desktop (manager and licensing), then a scene that is VR and Desktop.