Search Unity

What is Unity iOS & Android Pro for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fuzzy, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I was just wondering about some license matter, especially iOS and Android Pro compared to regular Unity Pro.

Things like:
    • Unity Analytics Pro (even though it's free for everyone right now - will existing projects without pro be cut off later?)
    • Team License
    • Prioritized bug handling
    • Game Performance Reporting
    • Asset Store Level 11
    • Beta access (is it restricted to platforms?)
    And that seem to be things i get access to when i buy Unity Pro, right? Or is this also platform dependend? Which would be silly since you could mostly just switch platform back and forth to gain access then.
    What other stuff does iOS and Android Pro enable me to do that just Unity Pro doesn't? Is it only the splash screen what it's left for right now, or is there more?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

As far as I'm aware the only differences they bring are the removal of the splash screen and the $100,000 limit.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

That's kind of what i think, but then how do they reason to price those exactly the same as the 'main' Unity Professional version?
    I mean that'd be good for me since i might just (need) to pick up Unity Pro without iOS and Android Pro for their services and be just fine.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

If you're making in excess of $100k from your games, it's not an option that needs justified, it's the cost of licensing the software. You do have the option to purchase the Android/iOS Pro packages to remove the splash screen if that matters to you, but that's more of a vanity thing than anything.

In any case, $4500 for engine licensing is pretty small fish when you're bringing in that kind of money in your mobile games.

Edit: Assuming a perpetual license, of course.

theANMATOR2b and Fuzzy like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

We've had this discussion multiple times and it's always culminated in the response that "they just do".

You only need the paid licenses for platforms you intend to develop for.

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

So then the $100k is also platform dependend, but the other services aren't, if i get that right.
    As it seems, technically only if i exceed the $100k limit or am annoyed by the splash screen.
    Other than that, as a small fish there seems to be no reason to even bother with these licenses for now.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right. They're basically tied to the Unity Pro license as far as I'm aware.

Fuzzy likes this.
  8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Well then thanks for the quick replies.

But if someone else sees this and notices we misunderstood things, feel free to still leave a correcting reply. :p

Edit:
    I just read through pieces of the eula, and stumbled upon the following:
    And that made me wonder.
    Would that mean if i got Unity Pro and for example Asset Store Level 11 access i still may not use those free/discounted assets in iOS and Android personal projects?
    Or the same for Unity Analytics (assuming it's public beta ends) - i may not use it in iOS and Android Personal projects when i only got Unity Pro?
    Or Team License: Version Control Disabled if i switch to an iOS / Android project?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

As far as I understand it no. Once you hit 100k in total from anywhere you need pro for the platforms you develop on. So if you get 100k from your desktop apps, and want to try a iOS build for kicks, you need iOS pro.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Team license isn't required for version control. Team license itself is just their own server software. It's pretty bad too. :p

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

right.. I'm not quite sure why i chose the words i did. Since it alwas was like "what you earn in any way in a year".

I thought Team license would enable the Version control Drop down in Editor settings to switch from Meta files to another solution.
    I'm currently using PlasticSCM and handle it with it's own seperate software and in the windows explorer. In case i mess up and still be able to roll back to an earlier working version instead of putting seperate _backup files everywhere.
    But Unity is technically offering an editor integrated solution.
    Yet, would I be able and allowed to use it with an Android personal and Unity Professional license on an Android project?

But also other services would be interesting like: Ads, Analytics, IAP, Cloud Build.
    Basically the question about services i have are (assuming using Unity Pro and Mobile Personal), if you look at the Get Unity page:

-"All Platforms" mentions:
    so far so good.

(i know splash screen is per platform)
    (i guess dark skin is platform independend, so what about...)
    -Analytics Pro - would i not be able to send analytics data to the server if i use it in a mobile personal project with unity pro only? (can probably only be answered by unity staff since it's currently open for everyone) > when it get's restricted to pro only, will personal users keep access to their already set up projects, and also would it be per platform pro license or only requiring a single Unity Pro license for all platforms together?
    -Team License - as menstioned above, would i be able to use the editors integrated software solutions on a mobile platform without it's seperate pro license?
    -Game Performance Reporting - same as analytics? would the server just reject data sent from a mobile personal project or would it just work?
    -Beta access - also restricted to only what i own pro for? Would that even be possible?
    -Asset Store Level 11 - could i use those free/discounted assets also in Mobile Personal projects then?