Search Unity

What is this worth?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arcmage, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Arcmage

Arcmage

$Sniper.png
    1234 tries
    $Cruiser.png
    1023 tries
    $Dreadnaught.png
    1607 tries

I am curious to how much if anything models of this quality are worth. If they are worthless a few tips as to why would be much appreciated.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The weapon is probably worth about $2-5, it would be worth much more if it was polished. People generally will buy weapons packs. The space craft are worth about $2, because they're not very good really. You could improve them by actually having a proper texture, ie lights along the hull and more distinctive "landmarks".

3. Arcmage

Arcmage

Thank you. That is more than I expected honestly. I am still very much a novice.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

People can only say what something is worth to them. To me, these aren't worth any money, sorry. The gun might be, if it were tidied up, and textured, worth something - maybe the $5-$10 range. The ship is way too blocky, I don't think I would ever consider it. Hope that was not too harsh.

5. Arcmage

Arcmage

No such thing as too harsh. I don't intend to sell these in there current form I am looking for criticism to help me built more valuable models in the future and to accurately access my current skill.

6. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

More details on everything. And get some decent textures.

Or to use technical terms "The ship models could use jankifying and a lot of love."

7. Arcmage

Arcmage

Sorry to revive this ancient thread but I was wondering about this model.
    $Rifle.png
    930 Tris
    Any critique would be much appreciated.

8. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

Hello Arcmage.
    From my experience as a game artist and developer, I would say you need to improve your texturing skills.
    I can't talk about the mesh, because you are showing no wires, but take as example a real shotgun and try to copy it's wood and metal.
    The unwrap is important too, good use of the texture space, artist friendly, low seam and if you provide a non overlapping 2nd channel, even better.

9. duncanx

duncanx

Here is a collection of $2 - $5 rifles for reference. Linky.

10. Arcmage

Arcmage

Thanks to both of you. I will work on texturing and post a wire-frame soon. If you wouldn't mind could you explain what you mean by a non overlapping second channel?

11. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

I am not sure about which is your question about, "overlapping" or "2nd channel", so:

- A UVW channel is the information that describes how are maps applied on meshes. For games you must "unwrap" the channels, so you control how the texture is applied and where. The perfect unwrap would be a seamless artist friendly unwrap. Seams in the unwrap make obvious texture seams on the model, only noob unwrappers leave visible seams. It's impossible to have a 100% seamless texture since you are transforming a 3D object into a 2D map, but there are "good places" for seams.

- Meshes can have many texture channels or UV channels. Channel 1 normally contains diffuse information. When possible or needed, unwraps reuse diffuse information overlapping faces and saving texture information (if you can have 2 faces using the same texture part, you avoid having that texture part twice).
    Channel 2 normally contains the lightmap. As every face has a different light information, you can't have overlapping faces.

I've attached an example from an asset of mine: diffuse textures for buildings, that easily overlap, and then the occlusion map, non overlapping. You may see only one face for each building in the diffuse, but all the faces in the lightmap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011