Search Unity

What is this style of game/template and where to get it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErickLV, Jan 7, 2021.

1. ErickLV

ErickLV

Good night, I'm a beginner in game development and here in the forum. I always see a game style that I play and I would like to know if there is a base template, as I see several games with identical resources, even the position of items in the shop, only the design changes but the features are the same.

The game is in the shooter style with 20 to 50 stages each map, for each level that the player gets inside the map he can choose 3 skills, in addition to the maps to evolve, it is possible to make upgrades on the character's equipment etc ... something similar to a game called 'Archero'.

Doubts:
    1. What is the technical name to look for this style of play and start to develop it?
    2. Is there a template with pre-implemented programming that can be purchased on the Unity website?

Thanks.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Welcome to our community.

What you have described is not a style, but some selected features.
    For the most, you need to define, if your game is 2D or 3D.

Please look into Unity asset store and seek what you may be of interest.

Just to be aware, don't jump into shopping spree.
    Buying random stuff, without understanding technical aspects will get you nowhere.
    So jut in case you don't get disapointed.

But is worth at beginning grab some free stuff there and learn from them. Depends what you need.

And since you are beginner, you should start from beginning. Unity offers tutorials. There are tons of tutorial resources online, to learn from. Dig for them.

Further more, please visit
    Getting Started
    and
    Scripting
    forum section.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  3. ErickLV

ErickLV

thank you very much for your response and kindness.

I'm sorry, I know that I must be requesting something that doesn't make sense or saying the wrong terms because I'm not in that area, I've been working with full stack development (apps, backand, frontand, desktop) for 6 years, but I want to enter the games area.

Lately I'm watching some videos from YT and Udemy, learning a lot and wanting to start my first game similar to q nine 3D games I played and that are completely similar, but with a different UI. I am very curious to know where to find this base or how to look, because I am looking at the Unity store and I can't find something similar, I must be looking wrong.

I may not be able to describe correctly if they are resources or a specific specific style of play. I know it's asking a lot, but could I just see the images of that game on the Playstore to better understand what I meant?

I would like a game in this style, shooter, stages, where each lvl is possible to choose these skills. it can be without any UI, just with mechanics, is this a template or what base can I start with?

Thank you very much, Antypodish

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is Archero this game, which you are referring to?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.habby.archero&hl=en_US&gl=US

You probably wont find anything specific and similar to this.
    But from few seconds of watching this vid, FPS and MMO topics would be the initial starting point, for you to study.

There are some assets of such examples, or frameworks.
    But be aware, they may be anything but easy.
    And make sure, you don't dive into MMO project as your first.
    Start from simple prototypes.

Good luck.

5. MahaloAloha

MahaloAloha

What you need, my friend, is a primary gameplay loop: What the goal is and what the player is going to do to accomplish that goal.
    If you can't describe that to us in a precise premise, then you've already failed before you started: because every other mechanic you add or idea you want to work on is nothing more than fluff n stuff that you can't even add into that primary gameplay loop.

Here is an example:
    The PLAYER will navigate a linear course from the left to the right while avoiding enemies and obstacles to the OBJECTIVE. The camera will always stay centered on the PLAYER and the PLAYER can never return left.

I just described Mario without any fluff n stuff. Until you can properly describe WHAT you want your player to do in one quick go, then you'll be wasting your time. There's no point.

ErickLV likes this.
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Remember that just because a lot of mobile games are nearly identical doesn't necessarily mean that they are made from a template. Sometimes a developer will go searching for games that are already successful and just duplicate every aspect of it to try and chase that success. The game will end-up looking and feeling nearly the same by design, even though it was developed from scratch.

ErickLV and MahaloAloha like this.
  7. MahaloAloha

MahaloAloha

I'm gonna make this completely clear:
    Don't do anything with MMO as your final goal, let alone start your first project.

Some tutorials may demand you have/own/use a specific asset pack for their tutorial - which is good for learning - but when it comes to making your own project you'll have to get used to working with a blank project anyhow, and then from there making your first Pre-Alpha build with placeholders - which might as well be colored ovulids or cylindrical figures holding sticks.

The worst thing you can do with making a game project solo is to be mentally putting in features before you even have your baseline game done (that primary gameplay loop I brought up earlier).

Good luck with your ambitions, OP. Message me if you want me to point you in the right directions for simple tutorials covering principle FPS creation. I have a fave YouTuber who not only TELLS you how to do something, but EXPLAINS what he's doing, why it's relevant, and it isn't some shotty half-mic overlay with screencapture on.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Care to share for everyone else?

9. MahaloAloha

MahaloAloha

As I am new here, I was afraid that I would be shunned or shooed for shilling out a YouTuber. If posting publicly is fine, Press Start is a master of not only telling people WHAT TO DO to get the result, but HOW AND WHY that method is important. It's well-edited, well-explained, and he does his best to differentiate nuanced topics on various ways to handle actions in Unity. And he has TONS of videos on various topics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe45-2uomTfrnGZwJcATeUA

And for more help with basic end-to-end game design, there's mah boi Jimmy Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/c/JimmyVegasUnity

The use of both channels is a real good way to learn nuances and create your own game. Jimmy Vegas for full series of GAME TYPES and Press Start for REFERENCE MATERIALS

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021