Search Unity

Discussion What is this referring to? (Chat with ChatGPT)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sonolil, Apr 5, 2023.

1. sonolil

sonolil

Untitled-2.png Untitled-4.png

I actually already know the answer for this but I just wanted to check with ChatGPT if it knew it because it was such an obscure topic. By toolbar I meant the "transform toolbar" with position/scale/rotation button, etc.

However, it gave me a completely strange response? There's absolutely no "Add Tab" option under Windows > Layouts in Unity Editor.

What could this be referring to? Where does this "Add Tab" come from because I don't see it. Does this mean ChatGPT is completely unreliable when it comes to the specifics on Unity, specifically editor trinkets?

2. spiney199

spiney199

Sometimes ChatGPT is on the money, sometimes it spews hot garbage.

The problem herein lies with your vague question. "Add a button to the toolbar" isn't specific enough, I imagine. You should be asking, "How can I add custom tools to the scene window" or something.

Though I don't know why you'd ask chat ChatGPT when the information is available in the manual: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UsingCustomEditorTools.html

3. sonolil

sonolil

Actually, I already had a previous conversation with it about that.... I didn't want to post it because it could get personal... but for science's sake I'll make the sacrifice.
    Untitled-6.png Untitled-9.png Untitled-11.png Untitled-13.png

I just realized that the "toolbar" (edit: is it even called that?) is not even at the upper right corner. Did it use to be there in previous versions? In the docs, it really does just say "Tools." (I do think it's a bad name, btw)

ChatGPT is impressive and I am getting used to it, but judging by this conversation, I don't think it's going to replace search engines that easily. Especially for Unity. I found the "toolbar" and EditorTool ScriptableObject via the search engine and the docs and the bot can't even come close to finding it.

-----

I do want to mention that I wanted to rely on ChatGPT because the names are not always obvious. Sometimes it's not so feasible to search the entire docs for a functionality you can't describe or name easily. This is where ChatGPT should theoretically shine... except it clearly didn't.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  4. spiney199

spiney199

It did use to be located outside of the scene view window, yes.

This is one of the problems with Chat GPT, all it's knowledge starts at a date and goes backwards. Anything bleeding edge or too new, and it won't know about it.

Chat GPT is just a permutation of a search engine. If your queries aren't sufficient to get the right result in google, they aren't sufficient for Chat GPT.

Part of the skill is knowing what to look up, and Chat GPT isn't going to replace manuals.

5. It refers to: "ChatGPT is crap, you are better off if you actually learn the tools you're using yourself and not relying on glorified autocomplete features".

spiney199 likes this.
  6. sonolil

sonolil

Just to be clear, I already knew what I was asking. I just wanted to test ChatGPT and its limits. I don’t think anyone should be blamed for that, especially with all that hype.

7. OBiwer

OBiwer

chatGPT is for my work in unity useless. Even okayish documented things like custom timeline clips often contain just garbage API that is just made up.