Search Unity

What is this -packages- folder doing in my project?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by crouzilles, Jun 6, 2019.

1. crouzilles

crouzilles

Hi everyone,

I dabbed a little into Unity 3 years ago and want to get back to it. When creating a new project I can see a "packages" folder situated under my Assets folder. I don't recall ever seeing this folder before. It is full of stuff as shown in this screenshot.
    Was this folder somewhere else in the past? Did I do something wrong? Is it taking more space that needed?
    Thank you for your help and answers
    Regards
    Crouz

2. Siegewolf

Siegewolf

The list of default packages, in project window, that are imported whenever you start a new project, is addition as of Unity 2018. You can manage packages in there by going "window/package manager".

3. crouzilles

crouzilles

Thanks for the info
    Regards

4. crouzilles

crouzilles

Actually, I do have another question regarding this.

I can remove packages I don't need via the "window/package manager", but how do I create a new project without those packages being present in the first place?

Thank you
    Crouz

5. Siegewolf

Siegewolf

I think that's not possible, but I am kinda curious too if there is a way...

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. Homicide

Homicide

I really rather wish they weren't there too. It just feels tacky and dirty to load a new project and have all these packages loaded into your project. Especially considering the nature of almost all of them.

Anyways , they can all be safely removed (assuming you aren't using them) except for the PackageManager package. That one seems silly to me completely. It just shouldn't be shown in there like that.

Cheers.

Joe-Censored likes this.