Search Unity

What is this "glow"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HermieWeber, May 23, 2011.

1. HermieWeber

HermieWeber

Hello!

I see this "glow" effect (which makes everything smoother and "shinier") rather often, for example here:
    http://www.3d-unlimited.de/interlanscapebig.htm

Can somebody please tell me what exactely this effect is called and how to do this with Unity3D?

Thank you.

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

In the example you linked, I believe it's Depth of Field blur.

3. HolBol

HolBol

Bloom, maybe?
    Or HDR?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks like DoF + Color Correction or something, pretty surely a custom postfx though, nothing out of the box

5. Jessy

Jessy

unity3d is just the web address; Unity is called Unity.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

But its Unity3D thats used everywhere when talking about it due to the "common nature" of the word unity itself - even its twitter is #unity3d - even by UT staff I think

7. Filto

Filto

Nice effect but as usual horrible antialiasing. Why oh why do people continue with this?! Whats the point with all work put into the scene when the aliasing makes everything look like S*** anyway. I will never understand, maybe its just me who is oversensitive to jaggies but for me good antialiasing is more important than any posteffects or number of realtime lights. Hence I regard deferred rendering to be a pretty much a useless method until there is a good solution for antialiasing with it.

Well that was todays little rant :)

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

@filto: potentially it was rendered in Deferred RenderPath, then there simply is no AA, the best available thing aside of custom solutions is the edge blur

9. Filto

Filto

Yes I suspect it was and thats abit my point. Deferred rendering breaks such a fundemental thing as AA and edgeblur doesn't remedy it, making DR anything of the hype it was launched with. I never use deferred rendering for that simple reason. Sure I can use lots of realtime light but it will still only be a horrible looking scene with many lights.

Scene with jaggies="Next!" :)

10. HermieWeber

HermieWeber

Can you explain what this guy should have done differently? I thought that antialiasing was simply an effect that I can turn on or off.
    What do you mean by "deferred rendering"?

11. Filto

Filto

Deferred rendering is a rendering method you can choose in unity. You can choose between forward rendering and deferred. Deferred has the upside that it isn't limited to a number of real time lights and has other performance advantages. The downside is that you can't use AA with deferred as you can with forward rendering. I'm sure someone can explain it better then me though

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Filtos explanation thus far is correct. The reason you can't use AA is not cause UT wouldn't want to provide it, its because DX9 does not allow the buffers used for rendering in deferred to be Antialiased at all technically. Deferred + AA requires DX10 or higher.

If you don't have pro its nothing to worry cause you can't use deferred anyway (wouldn't make much of a difference anyway, as its real gain comes from lights with realtime shadows which on forward become a serious performance hog very fast if you don't design the environment and meshes carefully)

13. HermieWeber

HermieWeber

Thank you for the explanations.

14. techmage

techmage

I just want to chime in and say, I do agree lack of proper AA really does ruin deferred rendering. I kind of wish Unity had not spent as much time on deferred rendering and got a viable post MSAA effect going first. A cheap post MSAA filter would have been more valuable to me than deferred rendering without any viable AA options.

And supposedly Crysis 2 does there MSAA entirely with some special post processing effect they've come up with. Lack of proper AA with deferred rendering is not because DirectX lacks some feature, it's because UT hasn't put together a proper post effect for anti-aliasing.

15. rasq

rasq

I fully agree, The Wither 2 also have good AA and deffered Rendering... also they have ubersampling.

16. josh_sg1

josh_sg1

The effect is actually like the guy say DOF and it is HDR and Post Effects. I know it as the grass on a material like taht grass field glow like that with HDR and post effects and the Scene have a light fog on it.

17. aninjamonk

aninjamonk

Try out the Image effects if you are using Unity Pro Version. You will get to know how to achieve this effect. It is a combination of some of those effects like colour correction .... glow... and some others in that.

18. U7Games

U7Games

may be the developer has modified the shots in photoshop and added some kind of image filter.. that is cheap :D

19. ahmetDP_1

ahmetDP_1

Actually, IMHO, Unity 3D is better to refer to the software, because in linux world world there is a new desktop X environment that is called Unity. It's nice, easy to use desktop interface for the OS.