Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is this big error I'm getting?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ksam2, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksam2

ksam2

Hello guys. I really have no idea what is this I don't have anything related to unity in my C: drive! can someone help me with that please?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Try exiting and restarting Unity.

This is an error in Unity's code, which is located in UnityEditor.Graphs.DLL. The C: in the error message refers to the Unity developer's environment when that DLL was built, not your computer. Judging from older forum posts and unityAnswers, it seems to occur most frequently when deleting and recreating animator controllers that don't have any transitions.

If the error persists, you can upgrade Unity or report it as a bug.

3. hamsterbytedev

hamsterbytedev

@TonyLi this seems like a pretty likely scenario given the location of the error. Good advice.

mperry3, sahin52 and ksam2 like this.
  4. ksam2

ksam2

Thanks guys. as TonyLi said restarting unity wipe out error.

5. hamsterbytedev

hamsterbytedev

Perfect, glad you were able to fix it :)

TotalShark737, mperry3 and ksam2 like this.
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad it's working again. I primarily develop on Windows, so "when in doubt, restart!" :)

7. hamsterbytedev

hamsterbytedev

#nailedit

8. PrinceThakuri2077

PrinceThakuri2077

Iam Using Unity3D 2018.02 But Also Says Same Error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Edge.WakeUp () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Edge.cs:114)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.DoWakeUpEdges (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 inEdges, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 ok, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 error, Boolean inEdgesUsedToBeValid) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Graph.cs:387)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUpEdges (Boolean clearSlotEdges) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Graph.cs:286)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp (Boolean force) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Graph.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Graph.cs:250)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Graphs/UnityEditor.Graphs/Graph.cs:245)

9. offerni

offerni

Thank you, @TonyLi.
    Restating Unity worked for me

10. AryanJumani

AryanJumani

@TonyLi worked out for me too! :)
    Thanks a lot!

11. howler123

howler123

It is Causing Unity to crash and corrupting my scene and I cannot open that scene again, it permanently crashes unity. I have removed Unity 100% and even cleaned the register and reinstalled it to no avail.

12. RickshawDerpyDerp

RickshawDerpyDerp

@howler123 uh-oh, I just pushed my commit to github with this error, I had a lot of big changes between now and the last commit :confused:
    EDIT: Restarted and that error is gone, works fine. PHEW!

13. KristianDoyle

KristianDoyle

Just encountered this one. A restart seems to have fixed it. I was creating animation clips (for a camera) in timeline, then popping those in an animator. On the camera. Which was also still referenced in the timeline.

14. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

15. mddilshad715

mddilshad715

Thanks Bro It's working

16. minicoffeegeemu

minicoffeegeemu

thx for help

17. drewradley

drewradley

Five years later.... still not fixed. At least it's not my crappy code-fu! :)

18. Bloody-Swamp

Bloody-Swamp

I don't think they care much to fix it. 2019.4.2f1 LTS here and still around.

Weendie-Games and timmccune like this.
  19. razzraziel

razzraziel

it's still here @2020.1.3

20. rodeowild

rodeowild

2020 and the problem persists. Please do not tell me to restart unity. That works for about 20 minutes before the problem reappears.

21. Retro-1up-Junkie

Retro-1up-Junkie

22n'd of OCT 2020 and is here, restart and resume it would seem is the sure cure.

22. hiitten

hiitten

Same problem

23. yorknew45

yorknew45

1/29/2021, I thought it was my code... come on... I deleted a whole section thinking was my fault..

24. Blenderik

Blenderik

Feb. 2021 and I still need to restart every 30min, please Unity, this is serious.

25. Goty-Metal

Goty-Metal

So.... 2020.3.0f1 still happening... no fix :)

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  26. Ducaticoder

Ducaticoder

Still happening in 2020.3.0f1. First time I ever used Sliders.

BrainSlugs83 likes this.
  27. toby5_5

toby5_5

my one has an angry face at the end lol
    46gtr>:0)

28. Solphist

Solphist

Yup still there in whatever version of unity is the latest one.
    I was assigning runtime animators at runtime... deleting some others from assets.
    This post literally saved me from questioning my dodgy code o_O

29. unity_uyXyYJ6S0Xmxxw

unity_uyXyYJ6S0Xmxxw

Wow! It's still happening even 6 years passed, from 2015 to 2021!!

30. Seb_GTB

Seb_GTB

I closed the animator tab and then double clicked an animation controller to reopen it. Worked for me :)

ABHINAWRAM and Kerphelio like this.
  31. Bunny83

Bunny83

To everyone who's necroposting on this thread:

Please stop!

This forum is not a place to report bugs. Use the bugreporter in Unity to report bugs. The Unity staff is not looking for bug report threads on the forum, especially when the information given is essentially useless. Most the time when this error happens it's due to a misuse / bad sequence of actions and is usually harmless. Yes, it's most likely due to a certain edge case that the editor did not take care about. However looking at the last 18+ posts here, nobody has added anything even remotely useful.

So please, if you "also have this problem" do not post a "me too" message here. It just spams the forum. Instead try to narrow down what you did exactly before the error happend and file a bug report in Unity (Help --> Report a Bug). You may attach your current project which causd the issue and make sure you describe the issue as detailed as possible. Just posting the error message is most likely not helpful.

32. ilr_242

ilr_242

Thanks man! It's really works

33. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Please STOP posting for NullReference errors. That will not fix them. Here is the ONLY way to fix them, and it is 100% on you to do it:

The answer is always the same... ALWAYS. It is the single most common error ever.

Don't waste your life spinning around and round on this error. Instead, learn how to fix it fast... it's EASY!!

Some notes on how to fix a NullReferenceException error in Unity3D
    - also known as: Unassigned Reference Exception
    - also known as: Missing Reference Exception
    - also known as: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

http://plbm.com/?p=221

The basic steps outlined above are:
    - Identify what is null
    - Identify why it is null
    - Fix that.

Expect to see this error a LOT. It's easily the most common thing to do when working. Learn how to fix it rapidly. It's easy. See the above link for more tips.

You need to figure out HOW that variable is supposed to get its initial value. There are many ways in Unity. In order of likelihood, it might be ONE of the following:

- drag it in using the inspector
    - code inside this script initializes it
    - some OTHER external code initializes it
    - ? something else?

This is the kind of mindset and thinking process you need to bring to this problem:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-do-my-music-ignore-the-sliders.993849/#post-6453695

Step by step, break it down, find the problem.

Here is a clean analogy of the actual underlying problem of a null reference exception:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/nul...n-instance-of-an-object.1108865/#post-7137032

zaxaname_unity likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Necro-posting is clearly against the code of conduct. The fact that you necro-posted just to be spiteful is childish in the extreme.

35. Bunny83

Bunny83

I'd like to friendly direct you to the community code of conduct on that matter that is actually pinned on top and everyone should have read, as those are the rules we play by here.

Points which may be relevant here are:
    Some points from under section 6:

twobob likes this.
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Just wanted to clarify that the original post was not about NullReferenceExceptions in general. It asked about a specific NullReferenceException raised by UnityEditor.Graphs.AnimationStateMachine when deleting and recreating animator controllers that don't have any transitions. Since it's been almost 7 years, I don't remember the specifics (crazy that this thread keeps getting necro'd), but I sort of recall that reloading assemblies failed to clear the error state, but reloading Unity did. Back in 2015, I suggested submitting a bug report. If anyone is still experiencing this issue, they should submit a bug report.

Malbers, DOGUKANN3, Adogus and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.