Search Unity

What is the version when unity worked with Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Windows' started by AiRobotMedia, Sep 14, 2018.

1. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

I remember a version of unity that created a successful build for windows phone.

At the moment it can't even spin a cube as it goes 1 frame per second.

Does anyone remember the unity version which worked?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What device are you running on? In 2018.2, we removed support for DirectX 11 feature level 9.x. From our release notes:

Code (csharp):
    1. Universal Windows Platform: Removed support for old Windows Phone devices (the ones with pre-DX10 GPU, i.e. everything older than Adreno 4xx).
    If you run on a device that doesn't support feature level 10.0 or higher, you'll fall back to software rendering and everything will be very slow. Keep in mind that while you can manually deploy the app to such phone through Visual Studio, end users will not be able to download it from the store as we manifest the generated project to require DX10 level hardware.

3. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

Microsoft Phone 650 (I think) Nine months old.

I had a Unity 3D game running on it with good performance, but with the latest versions of Unity / Visual Studio it won't run anything. I just don't know which version it was. Maybe 2017.6 or something.

Compare android / google play builds to microsoft store builds once my game was ready..

It took me 3 days to build my game for google play store. Most of that time was spent creating an account, working out how the store worked, and building icons. Easy process.

Windows store build took 3 months. SERIOUSLY. Trying all different versions of unity / visual studio and all the requirements for Microsoft store. Never in my 10+ years as a professional programmer have I had such a S*** experience. Getting a successful build was as rare as rocking horse S***.

You should write a guide on how to actually get things working (with versions) with unity, visual studio and microsoft store.

4. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That phone has Adreno 304, which indeed does not support DirectX 11 feature level 10.

6. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

"Universal Windows Platform: Removed support for old Windows Phone devices (the ones with pre-DX10 GPU, i.e. everything older than Adreno 4xx)."

You should rethink that. These devices are not old, they are the current devices which you can still purchase from Microsoft and other leading retailers. It was only released in February 15, 2016

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The market share on that particular device is tiny, and supporting d3d11 9.x feature level was a real hassle. In cases like SRP, we couldn't even make it work. Very often when writing any sort shaders, the author eventually bumps into “oh this won’t work on d3d11_9x”. Often leading to just specifically excluding shader from d3d11_9x platform. Major issues are: no existence of mipmap LOD sampling, only 8 texture coordinate interpolators, no support for shadows, etc. There were also various workarounds/limitations that we had to keep in our D3D11 rendering code, just to work around d3d11_9x issues & limitations, which was a maintenance nightmare. After looking at market share numbers, the vast majority of UWP devices that people use support at least d3d11 feature level 10.0, and in the end we decided it wasn't worth supporting it.

8. JulesVerny

JulesVerny

I agree with AiRobotMedia. I am 'still' rocking with a Lumia 650 as my preferred personal device, and would really like to deploy Unity games onto it. I guess with Microsoft given up on Mobile, that Unity has followed suite. But its a personal disappointment of what used to work easily with Unity, is now no longer capable.

I also have an android Lumia 6 Android device which I do use for Unity test and demonstrations, but I really not into Android as a personal device.

Perhaps I should look into getting a Lumia 950 Windows Phone

9. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

I think you can just go back to an old version of unity to build for windows phone. I had it working at one point.
    Early 2018 might do it.

10. AiRobotMedia

AiRobotMedia

Yes, confirmed I can spin a cube with Unity version 2018.1.9f2 on my windows phone 640.