Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question What is the status of DX12?

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by sacb0y, May 24, 2023.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

I heard there were some performance issues on DX12, but the tests I've seen have been only on Unity 2020 and such.

What is it's current state? Have the issues been mitigated? I heard something about an issue with compute shaders.

I ask cause I intend to switch to Unity 2022 from 2021LTS for the Display HDR support (What can I say I'm an HDR enthusiast). But that requires DX12, and I know a lot of companies have struggled on that front.

I intend to do some test builds, but given it's still early and not in LTS there's issues on that front so I just wanted to ask what to expect.

mandisaw likes this.
  2. dnach

dnach

Unity Technologies

Hey,

The DirectX12 backend was officially promoted out of experimental in 2022.2 after resolving many known issues. We recommend you give this a try and let us know what you think. While this may vary based on project and device, DX12 in 2022.2 should perform roughly on par with DX11. If you are CPU bound, enabling Graphics Jobs can even improve CPU performance compared to DX11. If you are GPU bound, DX11 may currently out perform DX12 in some cases.

We are working on additional performance optimizations, such as the recent introduction of Split Graphics Jobs in 2023. There are additional CPU and GPU performance optimizations to come, with the eventual goal of promoting DX12 as the default graphics backend for Windows.

3. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering