Search Unity

What is the state of networking on unity?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Anythink, Oct 22, 2017.

?

Which styles you think are viable

1. Unet -> Card Games

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Unet -> Moba(5vs5)

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Unet -> FPS (8vs8)

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Photon -> Moba(5vs5)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Photon -> FPS (8vs8)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anythink

Anythink

I have been seen a lot of criticism on UNET, and i can't say i don't think it deserve... it fell short of my expectations too,

I have only played around on simple projects, and i know some users have tried complex projects on it, so i would like to ask you guys so i don't waste my time by starting my project with the wrong tech

What kind of projects do you think UNET can handle well?

I mean, turn card games? from my experience so far it seem to handle pretty
    Turn based rpgs? Moba? FPS?

In my expectations so far, i guess could handle turn based rpg with 8vs8, Moba 5vs5 ... maybe but wouldn't be worth, FPS i guess more than 5vs5 would start to become a really bad option.

And, the same question for Photon and other paid assets options
    A Simple yes/no for each style would be great, and an explanation is always welcome but not necessary

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

I think everything that you've mentioned can be done in both Unet and Photon, if you know what you're doing.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. mischa2k

mischa2k

It can definitely handle MOBA/FPS/Turn based, 8 vs. 8 are no problem whatsoever.
    One of my uMMORPG customers reportedly used it for a server with 100 players online a while ago. With HLAPI Pro though, but that doesn't change the performance part that much.