Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the reason of Unity Hub existance?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by yatagarasu, Sep 23, 2018.

1. yatagarasu

yatagarasu

1) It does not allow you to upgrade Unity - I mean, every time I install new version I need to select platform support by hand again and again.
    2) It does not show me Release Notes or why I should install new version - even Unity itself can show Release notes in new version notification.
    3) It randomly fails on installing some packages - usually Documentation package.
    4) It's integration to OS UI is very poor, not to say minimal - these looks like traditional Unity devs problems. It can not autostart, it pollute windows 10 task bar with two icons, it does not have right click menu on win10 taskbar.
    5) It does not allow to install unity for nonadmin users
    6) Installing breaks if your computer suddenly goes to sleep - happens a lot when you close your macbook
    7) It's UI is so simplistic an minimal - that it can be described as "f*ck you, I will show you nothing"

So what is the reason of Unity Hub version 1.0 ?
    Looks like another useless layer of abstraction.
    Instead of making a unity project file and allowing to open unity projects from Windows Explorer or finder.

Upd:
    Real life situation, was searching for unity answers site, my browser history does not remember, so I think maybe Unity Hub have all the links I need, why should I bother googling. But no, nothing what can look like this

Unity Hub can became really convenient tool, but just open its development to the community ))

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Thank you for your valuable feedbacks.
    1) In the next version of the hub, we are shipping the feature to remember your selection. It will choose the modules based on your last installation.
    2) This is a feature that we have in our backlog and will work on it soon.
    3) There have been some improvements implemented for this issue. If you still see the issue, I suggest reporting a bug through the Hub bug reporter (there is a link to it in my account drop down and in the tray menu)
    4) For the OS integration suggestions, I will pass your suggestions to our product team.
    5) The non-admin installation feature is in progress and will be shipped as soon as it is done
    6) Would you please report a bug for the installation issue, when your computer goes to sleep?
    7) We are working on a better UI and more options for the users in version 2.0

8) Thanks for your suggestion for the extra links/integrations of Unity websites into the hub. I will pass it to our product team

Finally, regarding the community contribution, I will raise your suggestion. Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope we can bring more value with Unity hub to our community.

Best,
    Afshin

yatagarasu likes this.
  3. Epiplon

Epiplon

Despite his tone, I have to agree with the points taken. The Hub had been really helpful in having multiple version but it really doesn't do much besides that. The upgrade and release note is really missing.

afshinity likes this.
  4. Innovine

Innovine

Well, UE4 has one... so...

Westland likes this.
  5. opdenis

opdenis

Is there a way NOT to use Hub, but use UnityDownloadAssistant instead?
    Its almost impossible to install Unity on the computer with Software Restriction Policies.
    Please give us the chance to choose.

6. riebling

riebling

Agree, Hub is confusing. Why anyone other than Unity developers would want to keep around multiple versions of Unity is beyond me; if you install a new version, you want to use it. I see the old version is using up over 11 GB. Do I need to keep it around? A newbie has no idea why they should use Hub vs just plain old directly run Unity. It's super confusing.

7. Beyond you? Well, I keep multiple versions because I'm working on multiple things and those things are on multiple versions (I'm helping out with a project). I use the latest, they use 2018. If I open up their project with my latest I would ruin it for them.

Also there are Asset Store publishers, who need multiple versions to test their product. For example, but there are many-many more reasons. Just because you don't need it, does not mean no one else need it. You're special.

8. Tetra

Tetra

So the differences between 2018 and 2019 are so major that it completely breaks their game? The major difference I see is that a lot of features are no longer in Beta. Would it not be better for them to just upgrade to 2019?

9. Kawsar_Shirazul

Kawsar_Shirazul

Can you delete UnityHub and continue using Unity on its own?

MP-ul, mommabird and now_its_dark like this.
  10. MP-ul

MP-ul

they need unity hub to install the licence now. Unity from my point of view has become a sort of "All talk no action" kinda software.

11. Innovine

Innovine

Unity has completely lost its way :(

Feels like their goals are no longer to make tools and features which benefit developers.

12. Daniel_Andersson

Daniel_Andersson

I didn't want to update my version of Unity because of this. Then, because I needed an asset that required a newer version, I had to update. Seeing how awkward Unity Hub is just makes me wish I'd picked another asset and stayed with 2018.

13. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

the hub is a big part of all the massive data-mining unity is doing on your computer - it's no longer a game engine but, a trojan horse - that's WHY they can't actually explain the bandwidth issues and why it needs to be online to work and what the hub is for - you're being looted as long as unity is open, even if you sign off - they will never discuss this with you and their new privacy doc you had to sign surely covers it - as developers that have invested in unity and built our business model around it, we're being criminally screwed here, our paid assets held hostage if we don't agree to having unity raid us for massive amounts of data 24 hours a day

MP-ul likes this.
  14. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

they are not - it's all about selling your data - they take so much, it interferes with unity functioning but, they play dumb if you ask and take you thru alot of 'fixes' because they can't tell you half the bugs you're getting are from all the background activity - but, google is paying way more than we are

MP-ul likes this.
  15. MP-ul

MP-ul

That I can confirm also, and they made some modifications to the editor aswell since it was checking what other apps i was having open on my pc.

16. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

even skype is somehow accessing the internet thru unity.exe

Attached Files:

MP-ul likes this.
  17. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

here's an example of how they deliberately just stonewall you and play dumb:

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 6:26 PM J wrote:

whatever works for your side - i really don't want trouble, i love Unity

i've been pretty clear about my issue and i've attached pics - there's alot of traffic from Unity even when i sign out - if Unity is loaded, there's a tremendous amount of online activity i do not approve of

everyone that addresses this tells me they do not understand my problem tho, i've stated it plainly and it's not rocket science - i've shown you images of Unity online thru dozens/hundreds of ports, just running thru entire ranges of ports, trying to find an open one and maybe just being random so, it's harder to detect

please tell whoever calls me to not call if they don't know what my issue is - this is getting tired - i requested to know what Unity is moving to and from my cpu and i requested copies of all activity - please don't have another person say they don't know what i want - we're supposedly all sentient beings here that understand the english language

and, i'd like to know why skype.exe is attached to unity.exe? multiple instances, no less - at least 10

Unity 2017 1.0f3 WILL NOT START if i turn off my internet - it will just hang and it's disgusting that it needs to be online so badly - everyday, i have to close the blank window that will not populate and re-open Unity and it ALWAYS opens on the second attempt

IF i unplug my network adapter first, otherwise, Unity will just keep waiting for it to come online before trying to load - this happens every single time - even when it acknowledges you're offline and you hit the 'work offline' button, the first attempt just hangs so, you have to close and try it a second time and it always works

i wonder how much of that is all of Unity's unknown activity it insists on performing and i wonder of the memory-leaked it related

even when i turn of the connection to the google server, it just comes back on - i have no choice, Unity is free to fulfill it's agenda - so, i want MY COPY of whatever is going ON or OFF my personal property, my computer

so, i hope someone Enlightened can contact me and no more useless people telling me they don't understand plain english and images

thank you

MP-ul likes this.
  18. jakzun2011

jakzun2011

"it's funny, the FBI is getting into trouble for spying on americans but, these companies are doing just that - they don't even SHARE their google earnings with us - they just encourage us to use their product in GOOD FAITH, buy from their store, etc and are STEALING from us every single day

i can't access unity store because i blocked all means for ANYTHING from google to access my harddrive - so, since they can't mine my data, the store will not load and i cannot access my paid-for assets (thousands of dollars worth) -

they know this but can't help me because they can't admit they're stealing from me and unity won't even work correctly if you block google from your machine

i'm considering suing them, frankly - all my paid-for assets are being held hostage - no one told me i had to submit to google for unity to function - this is criminal"

Attached Files:

MP-ul likes this.
  19. AlexChichester

AlexChichester

I am a new user. My first 2 days in any game engine, I have a working platformer.

Unity Hub recommended the 2019 version without giving any reason why. It also does very little to communicate to new users how the separate folders are purposed (the hub v. the platform v. the project location).

It comes off terse to the point of unsettling, as if the person who wrote the menu hates everyone. I think the OP is right.

WHY does it not prompt you for the directory to reinstall Unity during each install? Why is it hidden in another menu when each menu has like 0-2 options?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    aghayourkhiavi likes this.