Search Unity

Question What is the proper code to replace element.style.unityBackgroundScaleMode

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by jiungerich, Mar 22, 2023.

1. jiungerich

jiungerich

I get warning when using element.style.unityBackgroundScaleMode

IStyle.unityBackgroundScaleMode' is obsolete: 'unityBackgroundScaleMode is deprecated. Use background-* properties instead.'

but I cannot find references to background-* properties in the manual. There is no link from the obsolete style to something new just that is obsolete. I want to set the Scale Mode of a Visual Element Background to Scale-to-fit.

Previously I had
    Code (CSharp):
    1. imageButton.style.unityBackgroundScaleMode = new StyleEnum<ScaleMode>(ScaleMode.ScaleToFit);

WidmerNoel likes this.
  2. ncerone_unity

ncerone_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

The way to acheive the ScaleToFit using the background-* properties is:

imageButton.style.backgroundPositionX = new BackgroundPosition(BackgroundPositionKeyword.Center);
    imageButton.style.backgroundPositionY = new BackgroundPosition(BackgroundPositionKeyword.Center);
    imageButton.style.backgroundRepeat = new BackgroundRepeat(Repeat.NoRepeat, Repeat.NoRepeat);
    imageButton.style.backgroundSize = new BackgroundSize(BackgroundSizeType.Contain);

3. jiungerich

jiungerich

Wow - no wonder I could not find it. I would have never thought I would need to replace 1 line of code with 4 to do the same thing.

4. Sluggy

Sluggy

Welcome to the wonderful world of Web development, now for desktop! :)

Next thing you know people will start using terrible implementations of javascript that require multiple preprocessors and transpilers to run servers and desktop apps... ... ...

5. jasursadikov

jasursadikov

@ncerone_unity what would be a replacement for the whole thing? The function was marked as obsolete but the alternative is not provided