Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

What is the point of Unity Collaborate 2.0?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by apexsoftworks, May 23, 2019.

1. apexsoftworks

apexsoftworks

Why would I use Collaborate 2.0 if it's just Git LFS? Git LFS is free and there's already a free Git plugin on the Asset Store.

I just don't see why I would pay for this service.

2. jeango

jeango

Diffs on scene files?

3. apexsoftworks

apexsoftworks

You can already do this. Scenes are text based now.

4. jeango

jeango

Psst... dude who writes me lives in the last century... don’t tell him I said that.

Oh my I actually never noticed they had changed that

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @apexsoftworks, thanks for the great question! Even though the underlying tech is similar to some git providers, Collaborate is different in a couple of ways:

First is that Collaborate's original goal was to make version control easy for creators who weren't experts. We've gotten great feedback showing us that the UI does just that, but we've also gotten feedback that it's too simplistic for more advanced users. The new version of Collaborate will be designed around both use cases.

The second is that we have a few unique features in the works that will set both the UX and the workflow apart from existing plugins and providers. We’re not quite ready to share details on that just yet, but we'll have more to share in the next few months.

6. alexrau

alexrau

I like the concept of collobrate but even with latest for 2018.4 (package 1.2.16) I still need to learn GIT so I can setup the .collabignore file at root of project; so that it does not freeze my machine for 30 minutes every time I hibernate my computer. So maybe it is something as easy as a editor which lets you select which folders to sync/ignore.