Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved What is the point of the Post Process Data SO in URP

Discussion in 'SRP Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by YuriyPopov, Sep 29, 2022.

1. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

I want to be able to change a shader in the Post Process Data SO. The use case is that I want to supply a optimized bloom shader to be used instead of the default one. Right now my options are :
    1. Make a entire custom post process, complete with a volume component and custom render pass
    2. Duplicate the entire ForwardRenderer, renderer data and post process data in order to essentially change one line

If this scriptable object does not expose anything why does it even exists in the first place ?

2. peterbay

peterbay

Unity Technologies

It works as an alternative to a Resources folder. The issue with that is that the shaders in a Resources folder are _always_ included in a build. But we want to ensure that the URP shaders are only included if URP is in use. We have a script that automatically updates the references, in case we make changes to the structure. You might argue that it then shouldn't be in the UI. I think it was re-exposed to the UI at some point to allow for manually fixing things if the asset references broke.

3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

So how would you suggest aproaching using a custom bloom shader? Write a identical custom post process ?

4. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies