Search Unity

What is the plan for 2D projects in DOTS future?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by vadersb_ru, Mar 17, 2021.

1. vadersb_ru

vadersb_ru

Hi!

There are numerous posts about concerns on the future development of DOTS tech stack, but I'd like to raise a more specific question regarding 2D projects. 2D rarely gets mentioned in general DOTS talks, and on Project Tiny sub-forum it was mentioned earlier that Project Tiny is the way to develop 2D games using DOTS (only for now?). Which is frankly concerning: it would be quite a regression if in some future Unity version GameObjects/MonoBehaviours will finally get deprecated and to develop a 2D project one would have to rely on Project Tiny which seems quite limiting and contains only a small (tiny?) subset of all Unity features.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Project Tiny and it has its uses, but it's also nice to have an ability to develop 2D projects using the whole rich set of Unity features.

P.S.
    As a personal note, I think that for many 2D projects DOTS is not necessary, and an optimal approach is using GO/MB for the game code and Job system for performant special effects (like it is shown in brilliant https://github.com/keijiro/DanmakuBenchmark example). I wonder for how long such approach will be supported by Unity.

pixelsplit likes this.