Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the most reliable tracking solution for a showroom AR model

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CGPepper, Oct 30, 2019.

1. CGPepper

CGPepper

I am trying to setup reliable AR tracking.

We have a physical location with a platform that looks something like this.

In the middle of the platform there will be an AR vehicle that users can view with android tablets. It is always in the same place, centralized. What i'm searching for is the best possible quality of tracking.

I've been experimenting with vuforia and foundation this week, tested older and the latest preview packages.
    I've tried Image tracking and Vumark on a printed A4 paper, but the result was really unrealiable. The image is only recognizing when closeby and not angled. And once i move around, the model slides, rotates and does all kinds of crazy stuff.
    Would it work better if we printed a giant hight contrast image? Is combining multiple markers a good idea?

I wonder if a model target would do a better job?

Plane tracking does a fairly decent job, but i want to avoid callibration and placing an object manually.
    Maybe some kind of a combination of plane tracking and a marker for initialization.

AR point cloud with multiple users actually looks insanely impressive. But since we are on android, and internet connection could be limited, i don't think it's an option.

Does anyone has experience with stuff like this?