Search Unity

what is the maximum polygons for the Oculus Quest device?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by schetty, Jan 8, 2020.

1. schetty

schetty

Hi,

I am working on the scene which have a city over view, what is the over all poly count which i can use it for this scene to make it run smoothly in Oculus Quest Device?

2. bgolus

bgolus

Poly count is mostly irrelevant. Vertex count is much more important. Aim for ~200k vertices, maybe 300k max. Technically it's plausible to push close to 500k vertices, but only if you're rendering everything using unlit, solid color shaders with no textures and the bare minimum vertex shader.

Torbach78, hippocoder and schetty like this.
  3. schetty

schetty

Thank you for your reply, on top this vertex counts, we will use the lights, shader and texttures etc,, does it affect more?

4. bgolus

bgolus

Yep. You want to be doing as little as possible with as little as possible.

Real time lights & shadows are basically a no-go. A single directional light, maybe 1 or 2 per vertex lights, and that's about it. Totally static baked lighting is greatly preferred.

And note that's 200k vertices total rendered. Not total in the scene. For VR that means scenes with no more than 100k vertices. If you want shadows from a real time directional light drop that to ~50k vertices.

Shader complexity you'll probably not be able to get away with using the Standard shader for everything. Mobile diffuse. If you don't need textures don't use them and rely on vertex colors. Make sure particle effects don't have a lot of large particles with minimal overdraw. Absolutely no post processing. Etc. etc.

Take all your expectations for what you can do and dial them back by 4-5x. Then start being creative and fake as much as you can.

ceitel, Torbach78, Verne33 and 4 others like this.
  5. thurstanwork

thurstanwork

Hi @bgolus just to clarify do you mean 200k vertices loaded in an environment, but only 100k within the viewport/as in actually on screen at any one time?

I'm contemplating a cartoon/flat shader style aesthetic with Japanese influence. Initially set in a relatively square (ie low poly) dojo with perhaps an opening to see a view outside (perhaps matte painting?). How well does it handle high res textures on say a flat surface to emulate a painting? It's been a while since I've worked in gaming, does texture size ie. max 512x512px have any meaning or do the engines handle that complexity?

6. bgolus

bgolus

For VR, 100k vertices “in the (editor) viewport” actually means at least 200k vertices in the headset since those vertices are counted twice, once per eye.

7. bgolus

bgolus

I mean the engine doesn’t really care what size your textures are. As long as the device has enough ram, and can support the texture resolution, it’ll load it.

The GPU on the other hand very much does care. 512x512 isn’t considered terribly high resolution these days, so that’s fine. It’s more a factor of the total number of textures being used at one time and their collective resolution. There is a lot of complexity in a full answer, but generally speaking 16 512x512 textures is slower than 1 2048x2048 even though it’s the same amount of memory usage.

TorbenDK likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does that include texture arrays?

9. bgolus

bgolus

A 512x512 texture array with 16 layers is "one texture" as far as the GPU is concerned. ;)

Mainly the difference between a single texture vs multiple textures is the reduced batching rather than anything with the texture itself. Though some mobile hardware does have problems with texture arrays that make them slower than they should. (The Quest seems fine there.)

TorbenDK and hippocoder like this.
  10. JonathanCel

JonathanCel

Slightly off topic, perhaps. But I wanted to say thanks bgolus, for your advice and willingness to share it on this and loads of other topics :)

11. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d