Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI What is the future of UGUI?

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by TheValar, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TheValar

TheValar

I just watched the Unite 2018 LA Keynote and once again was disappointed that there was no mention whatsoever of UGUI. All this talk of "performance by default" and the Job System + ECS is great but the truth is for many project UGUI is a huge performance bottleneck. Even things like the new SVG system which seems like a no brainer for UI work does not have support in UGUI. Looking at the roadmap I see nothing about UGUI whatsoever and if you look at the bitbucket repo no commits have been made since February for version 2017.3!

It would be great if Unity would be upfront about there future plans and the current status of UGUI. Will it get new features? Will it be optimized? will it be replaced by the new UIElements system?

zyzyx, Hosnkobf, ortin and 1 other person like this.
  2. ortin

ortin

Exactly the question I wanted to ask after watching the keynote and the list of unite sessions. There's no even UI experts at the "meet the expert" section...

3. brgishy

brgishy

I just came from the unity road map talk and still no mention of UGUI. When someone asked about it, they said that UGUI is only in bug fix mode and will eventually be replaced with the new UIElements. That's a long ways away, but still sad that UGUI is basically no longer in development.

4. ortin

ortin

@phil-Unity @benoitd_unity
    Can you further comment on this issue?
    Is uGUI in bug fix mode only from no now so no new features/performance improvements etc?
    Is UIElements supposed to become new "default" UI system somewhere in the future?

TheValar and zyzyx like this.
  5. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer Unity Technologies

So no uGUI isn't just in bug fix mode we've just been short staffed so some priority has been on bug fixes over features.

That being said we have work in progress as we speak. SVG is already supported in uGUI (SVG package has a SVGImage component that needs to be used instead), Tight mesh sprites are coming for 18.3, particle support is 75% of the way (no timeline for this atm but will be in the roadmap when we know more concrete times), Batching performance is on the list, UIElements has a new rendering pipeline that we are thinking of reusing or at least taking there performance ideas and implementing them within uGUI, and we are trying to find away around layout rebuilding performance issues and animation.

There is no concrete plan on if UIElements will full on replace uGUI, its been thought about but we know uGUI is a majour use case and will have support long after UIElements is able to support Runtime which is still a unknown length of time away.

Kirsche, Ferazel, Hosnkobf and 6 others like this.
  6. brgishy

brgishy

7. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Yes exactly the same issue. I do have someone working on it atm, but his computer just died so that put us back again :(. Hopefully really soon we'll have 17.4 18.1 and 18.2 uploaded (at this pace maybe even 18.3).

andyz and ferretnt like this.
  8. brgishy

brgishy

phil-Unity likes this.
  9. TheValar

TheValar

phil-Unity likes this.
  10. andyz

andyz

I must admit UI (& text mesh pro) being short staffed is so surprising to me, on some games (and especially non-games) the UI is the most important part so I can not help being curious as to why Unity has not managed to fully staff this area of the dev team

TheValar likes this.
  11. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Not going to get into politics of it all but yes i agree and its something I've been actively trying to solve.

TheValar and andyz like this.