Search Unity

What is the easiest modelling software?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by IndieDude360, Dec 24, 2010.

1. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

Hi, i'm going to attempt to get into modelling for games but i'm wondering what's the easiest modelling software?

I've got Blender and Maya but i'm not sure which one is the easiest.

Can i have an opinon on which one is the easiest or which one you perfer?

Thanks for Reading.

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Please use the search function, this subject has been beaten to death...

3. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

Blender is harder to learn, but once you learn it, it's way better.

4. callahan.44

callahan.44

3ds Max is the industry standard 3d package for the games industry (followed closely by Maya)

AutoDesk have the industry pretty much to themselves with Max, Maya, Motionbuilder, Mudbox, etc.

5. Unified

Unified

Modo is my fave because it has a full set of poly modeling tools while supporting symmetry.

There are many high end modeling applications but very few support symmetrical modeling. Instead they insist that you model just one half of your model and then manually mirror it. It can be difficult getting the proportions right when modeling just one half of a model.

6. Quietus2

Quietus2

7. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I started with truespace, so I can recommend it for beginners!

8. Tysoe

Tysoe

I don't think easiest really works. Different tools suit different artists, just like painting where you have watercolour, acrylics, oils, gouache, alkyd, tempera etc.Usually an artist will find one which handles in a way they feel most comfortable and will like the best.

It's the same with 3D apps. I like 3ds Max and Silo best and dislike Maya and Lightwave for modeling. Curious about XSI but never had the opportunity to use it. (Was impressed with Softimage CAT for 3dsmax so XSI interests me if it has modeling tools anything like CAT is for animation)

I tried modo when I was looking for something to use on the Mac other than Maya but MUCH preferred Silo (perhaps because it felt more familiar to 3ds max)

9. InvaderStudios

InvaderStudios

Personally I would say Google Sketchup is the easiest software to learn.

10. Moonjump

Moonjump

I tried a number of 3D modelling packages and ended up using Wings 3D because I found it very easy to use, that is in part because it cannot do as much as many other packages, but also because I found the context-sensitive right-click menus really easy to get on with.

11. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Milkshape3D is very good. Cheap and easy!

12. loken

loken

Any package is going to take a rather large investment in time to learn. 3d Modeling is not an intuitively easy task, and if you're finding it easy, you're probably doing it wrong. Find a program and stick with it. Follow all the tuts you can, get books, and practice.

Also, traditional drawing from life is paramount to being a decent modeler. Even if you just want to make simple art, drawing teaches us to observe, and you can't create anything without first having observed something. Draw simple things around you like fruit, your computer, furniture, etc., to get a taste for form and an eye for observation.

I personally use and love Blender, but it may not be the best for you given what I've gathered from your other posts - that being you're new to all this (and thats okay! no judgments here - gotta start somewhere.) Blender is wonderful for how much it can do, but it's documentation is lacking, and it's forever a moving platform - that is, it's constantly evolving, and it's in the middle of a huge transition for which examples and tutorials become outdated quickly.

So to reiterate, just pick something and learn. Most of your learned skills will transfer over later if you ever decide to change apps.

13. TapeReader Homsi

TapeReader Homsi

We're using google sketup for simple models, but if u'r looking for professional work you should start using maya or 3d max

14. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

all packages can be good and ez.. I use 3d max and to me it makes the most sense, but that's because its what I practice with...

I would recommend one of the leading programs, max,maya,blender,lightwave,etc.

sketchup can be good but only really for buildings, and can produce wierd geometry sometimes ,

whatever one u choose, stay dedicated to it, keep practicing and it will become easier

15. tatoforever

tatoforever

We use 3d s Max, maya and zbrush but Google Sketchup is the easiest to pickup (have also 2000 less features than Autodesk 3D packages ones).

16. BRIK

BRIK

3d Max is pretty easy to learn. The GUI is quite straight forward.
    Actually come to think of it, Gmax was the first ever 3d app I used. Thats probably why I found 3ds Max so easy because Gmax is based off it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  17. taumel

taumel

AutoCAD...

...come in, at least it was an new option.

18. GorrylIard

GorrylIard

With 3ds Max you will have a very large user base which also means a lot of tutorials, books and websites to help you. When I tried some of the smaller 3d packages I noticed it's easy to run into situatios where you know with 3ds max you could do this and that and you cannot find a similar tool from that other software.

19. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

Thank you everyone, i think i'll check out 3DMax

20. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

indie, just take note tho

3d max is PC only, so if you are dev for iOS (iphone) and you will need to be working on a mac. If this is not the case then id say go 3d max. If you want to export iOS and therefor your unity requires a mac, try out maya.

either way when you 1st get a software, take time to do the starting tutorials that come with the program. Also using the help menu as a bible is ideal, whenever you have a question hit F1 or go to the help menu, do a simple search, and youll likely find your answer.

21. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

If you truly want an easy to learn and inexpensive modeler, check out Silo 3D.

The on site tutorials will get you up to speed really fast and a new book was just released for it.

Development has slowed down for the package but what you get is pretty solid.

Download the demo and see how you make out with using it.

-Will

22. zumwalt

zumwalt

Modo, Cheeta3D, Max, Maya, Lightwave, Blender, Silo, Truespace, Gamespace, they are all easy to use, to bad I can't model or use a single one very well, so I stick with crayons and paper along with number 2 pencils, some glue and paint along with glitter then take a picture and pay someone else to make it for me.

23. IndieDude360

IndieDude360

Thanks everyone

24. Ayce

Ayce

I started with MoI (http://moi3d.com/) Fairly easy to use nurbs based, and it was free in the early versions. Not now. I went on to Milkshape and created a few simple items, but ended up using Max. I've tried sketchup, but can't seem to get a handle on it. Oh well. There are so many 3d modeling programs, it's just a matter of trail and error to find one that fits your style. Demos/trials are great!

25. sereda008

sereda008

Take a week to learn 3ds max and it will become easy :) (Really)

26. Artimese

Artimese

27. themlalee

themlalee

See, you can also illustrator for 3D modeling and of course you can always bring them to Photoshop for textures. As you know illustrator could take many forms with your plan and convert them to 3D characters with a certain ease of use filters. Otherwise, your best bet would be AutoCAD - considered one of the easiest of all.

28. Imani Gray

Imani Gray

Learn them both Blender has an integrated game engine for 2x the fun

And maya is easy to learn (if your a good and fast reader)

Both UI's can be edited to the users liking (Not so much maya) but every tool in maya is located in the space bar for VERY fast access thus allowing the user to get rid of the UI

Digital tutors makes the greatest tutorials for maya making it much more easier to learn

I would go into detail on why Maya is epic but i dont want to sound like a fanboy

(The flaws with each program)
    Blender: None that i know of.....
    Maya: Constant crashing, Weird random lagging, Slow UI load times, a few scripts are buggy useless and wont work and weird random things will happen to your scenes if they haven't been used in a long time

29. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

In my opinion Cinema4D is also relatively easy to use... Not as easy as some others but easy enough to start with and a lot easier than 3DS Max!

30. ivanzu

ivanzu

i starterd with Blender but around 5months later moved to 3dsmax its much better easy to learn better interface even if it costs 3000$ you pay for what you get great 3ds moddeling software.