Search Unity

Resolved What is the correct cycle for Unity Ads, TestFlight or Test tracks and TestMode?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by ManuelRauber, Feb 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Hi!

I need a bit of explanation before I can ask my question. :)

While developing and testing my first game, I made the mistake, that beta testers that got the app via TestFlight or Android Test Track (I just write TestFlight from now on meaning both services for iOS and Android) have seen real ads and clicked on them.

According to the documentation, you're not allowed to show real ads to beta testers that are not live yet: https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/212982543

Also according to the documentation, the account could get suspended due to fraud. That is exactly what happened to my account. After explaining to Unity what I did and how I mitigated the situation in the meantime, they activated my account again. So far, so good.

Now, I'm currently developing the update of the game, where I also want to use TestFlight for my beta testers.

However, normally you use the TestFlight build, if everything is good and bug-free, and push it to production. But that means that in the TestFlight builds you need to enable live ads, because you can not find out if the app has been installed via TestFlight or via Store.
    You normally do not create another build (because it could introduce a bug or something).

Now, in the linked article, you can read:
    So, the game itself is live, but the update is not.

I'm wondering if that would trigger fraud detection?

2. ej-Unity

ej-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @ManuelRauber,

Thank you for your question.

Since this is an update to your game and you already have a live version, it is likely that your game will not be blocked for fraud. However, I strongly recommend that you use our test device feature, where you can add your beta testers to be provided with test ads only and prevent your app from falling into fraudulent activity with false impressions.

upload_2022-2-11_14-52-17.png

ManuelRauber likes this.
  3. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Thanks for your answer!

I think that this one is the best approach to follow for "ready to release" tests. I totally forgot about the Test Devices feature. :)

Any other tests that don't need ads (or test ads) can be deployed separately.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.