Search Unity

What is the best way to handle 100+ players in Unity?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by drew4452862, Oct 20, 2017.

1. drew4452862

drew4452862

Any ideas on what I should start learning to get 100 ccu? I am trying to recreate an Infantry like game. I can walk around and shoot enemies but I want to start making this game multiplayer. With hundreds of people in the same area, I am not sure how to do this. Basically I just need to know what to use or what tutorials to start with. I found

http://ithare.com/unity-5-vs-ue4-vs-photon-vs-diy-for-mmo/

But that link seems to be very high level. If I had some experience to work with I might be able to adjust my game based on that information. I guess for now I will start with

http://www.paladinstudios.com/2013/07/10/how-to-create-an-online-multiplayer-game-with-unity/

Hopefully I will be able to run some tests and spam some players in to check how my server handles a ton of people.
    Also I know I won't be able to learn and create a game anytime soon lol.

Maybe I should just start using a paid service?

"but there are other paid options like :
    smartfox server, photon, ulink, badumna, electrotank, etc.......
    with these alternatives you can host more than 100 ccu in a single instance/room"
    - 3D Omelette Studio

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Its all going to come down to the efficiency of your networking code. I believe that you can forget both Photon Cloud and the Unity Multiplayer Service for this though. Last I read, Photon Cloud has a soft limit of 500 messages per second per room, and I think most games are hitting that with around 10 to 20 players. Unity Multiplayer also limits your bandwidth through the relays, where players start getting kicked when they average more than 4KB/s. I have a hard time believing you'll be able to get an infantry game with NPC's and 100 players fit within either of those limits. (It is probably possible but I'd be hesitant banking on that)

You could host your own dedicated servers and write as efficient as possible networking code and pull it off I'm sure.

uLink unfortunately is dead by the way.

3. mischa2k

mischa2k