Search Unity

What is the best way to create oldschool glowing text terminal effect?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ResterDD, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ResterDD

ResterDD

Hello, Community.

The desired effect (glowing text over dark canvas) is demonstrated on the picture below (credits to its author, swordfish):

I am trying to achieve that using text mesh pro, but my results are quite unsatisfying. Glowing effect itself looks pretty weird, but I am not yet familiar with text mesh pro so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Here are my questions:
    • What is the best way to create such effects in Unity?

• Is text mesh pro suitable for this purpose or I need to use something a bit more advanced like shaders? If so, how would you go about that?
    One good fellow from answers.unity suggested me 'to made a new material for this text shader with glow effect and extra pad for heavy looking text'. I am going to try this way. Didn't achieve good results yet.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Have you looked at example 17 - Old Computer Terminal included in the TMP Examples and Extras?

With the right background texture, font and texturing on the font itself using the normal Distance Field shader + glow, you should be able to get very close to that.

ResterDD likes this.
  3. ResterDD

ResterDD

Yeah, thank you.
    I've already checked out examples in TMP.
    I think there's a problem which I can't understand yet.

This is what I am trying to achieve:
    upload_2018-8-11_15-26-33.png

This is the example 17 (changed font):
    upload_2018-8-11_15-37-23.png

Example 17 with different attempts to setup glow:
    upload_2018-8-11_15-37-36.png

upload_2018-8-11_15-39-34.png

It just doesn't 'glow' like on the first picture. Maybe my background texture has not been set up properly?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I think if you were to use a background texture (behind the text) that has a green glow looking pattern, the effect would be a lot closer.

5. hiab-x

hiab-x

How did this project turn out in the end? I found this thread as I'm looking for this kind of shader, but with scrolling text. If such a shader exists, I've yet to find it.