Search Unity

What is the best Unity 3D FPS I can play today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sevenseasgear, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taumel

taumel

@Matthew Miner
    I like that you wrote built*.

Otherwise i would have wondered how you were able to build the models, draw the textures, create the terrain, write the scripts all on your own in just that time... :O)

2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

3. Filto

Filto

I don't know if I missed a joke here or something?

Seriously nothing takes 25 hours when it comes to building a game today (thats not even a work week). I can assure you that developing paradise paintball didn't take anything even close to 25 hours but a much much....much longer time.

Modeling and texturing the character in the game probably took around 25 hours.

4. shaun

shaun

Hi,

We've had a team of 4 developers, 2 artists, a producer and a community manager working for roughly a year on PP.

Letting a player run around and shoot on a level is about 0.1% of the work. Building a community, reliable multiplayer networking, networked physics, a virtual economy, managing hackers, scaling to lots of users, integrating FB and MySpace, episodic content releases, making it actually "fun" and of course making money takes a bit of extra work :)

Best regards,
    Shaun

5. TwiiK

TwiiK

That is amazing. If you put a few more minutes into that, adding branching story arcs, boss fights, weapon attachments, a cover system, destructable environments, bullet penetration, voice acting, multiplayer and co-op it'll easily be able to compete with some of the best games out today.

Now surely, sevenseasgear, is pleased. ~5 minutes for the groundwork of an amazing first person shooter is not something you see everyday. Clearly Unity is awesome.

Gears of War had a team of 20-30 people working on it for 2 years. I'm no math wiz, but that would take one person a lot longer than ~5 minutes.

I especially like how you made it playable right in the browser. Epic couldn't do that with their own engine with 20-30 people working for 2 years and you did it in ~5 minutes with Unity. Amazing.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

you forgot to put a Dead Replacement for the sentry guns :D

7. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

yes amazing! how long will it take to add voices to the enemy characters and introduce some more enemy characters? does the tutorial tell me how to add more enemy npc characters and give them voices from mp3 files? thanx!

8. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

dude you seem like a nice guy but could you please find other people's threads to terrorize?

there are a lot of people here who want to help instead of go nyah nyah nyah nyah like you do.

please stop taking up space in this educational, useful, and respectful thread with your fanboyisms. lolz

i want to make this thread a useful asset for unity. someday i will compile the knowledge here and share it. i am sure that many other newbies are coming by here and then leaving after getting snarked and assaulted by all the fanboyz who just want to h8 on newbies and keep them out of their club, while really, in the log run, unity wants to make the club bigger. i want to help them do this, and your snarky, useless, taunting posts do not serve this purpose.

thanx in advance dude for shaping up or shipping out--you rock!

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think Tysoe's response is about as good as it's going to get for you. Download Unity and read through the fps tutorial. After that you'll know if Unity is the tool for you or if you would perhaps be better off modding an existing game.

10. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

no actually i have gotten far better responses here.

i have a ph.d. in engineering and i know the fanboy response is "read the man page lzozllzlzlz it is trivial lozlzlzl it will take less than two hours lozlzlzl," as it gives some fanboyz a shot of adrenalin to say such useless things and go lozlzl.

but actually this thread does contain a lot of good info from other people with cool links and honest assessments. so thanx to all the useful posters!!

when the day is done, i am going to throw away all the fanboyisms and llozlzlzes and write a "THE QUICKEST PATH TO A UNITY 3D FIRST PERSON SHOOTER."

Thanks!

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

If you say so.

There have been a few people trying to help you, like Tysoe, but mostly this is a pointless thread.

12. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

yes it does have pointless parts where it is filled with fanboy comments like the one above--where you a) snark and attack me in a fanboyish manner, followed by b) a silly useless nyah nyah nyah.

Please go away and stop wasting electrons.

Or, if you stay, please contribute to the positive aspects here and tone down the fanboyisms.

Thanks!

13. taumel

taumel

14. Tysoe

Tysoe

Here's a copy of my second post to you on this thread, it's on page 2 of this thread and provides you with all the info and files you need as a starting point to make your own FPS with instructions in pdf format that take you through the basics.

I highlighted the link in bold, It takes you to the FPS tutorial someone kindly built for you in less than 10 minutes. Something you were quite capable of doing yourself.

Yesterday I took the time to offer you sound advice and the information to get you started. I have a fair bit of experience in game dev having shipped several commercial and indie games and related applications in the last 13 years.

If you spend a little time learning the engine, you will find you can do a lot of your FPS game yourself. Especially adding the voices you were originally hoping to pay someone to do for you. If your not willing to put in the work, your not going to get your game done.

Good luck with your projects, either way you will get what you deserve depending on how much effort your willing to put in.

15. TwiiK

TwiiK

The only reason this thread still exists is that it's slightly amusing reading all your crap.

I will however bump the thread to say that whoever posted the link to Interstellar Marines deserves a thumbs up, so does the devs of the game.

I had never heard of it before, but that thing is amazing and as good as a FPS reference that any game engine can hope for. I demand exceptional core mechanics in a shooter and Interstellar Marines has it nailed. Shooting the gun in Bullseye is as fun as shooting a gun in a FPS gets. It's easily up there, if not above, the most popular game series like Bad Company and Modern Warfare. Actually, the production quality all around are exceptional.

So to answer your orginal question:
    Interstellar Marines definitely seems to be it.

16. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

I'm not sure what you have against me paying people to help out with getting the voices added to the game. I am hoping that whoever does it will help me do it and I don't mind paying them! There is nothing wrong with this. The gist of all your responses are "download play with it if you want to be a man like me as real men know how to add voices to unity themselves. lozl." I know I can do that. The reason I am reaching out to people is to see if anyone can point me towards sample games. And some people have. So thanks to them! Others have offered help. Thanks to them too! Then, people like you, have told me that only the big boys should make fpss as it is impossible for indies to innovate, which I find untrue and contrary to the supposed spirit of unity. Please let your creative limitations limit yourself but do not impose them on others. Peace brotha.

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Sorry, I can't go away... but I can lock this thread which is what I'm going to do before it goes even further downhill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.