Search Unity

What is the best Unity 3D FPS I can play today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sevenseasgear, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Lol buddy, sorry if I seemed aggressive!

Hope you try unity and find it useful! n___n

2. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Sounds to me like you're not interested in creating your own posts. You're interested in someone else inventing computers and the internet and hosting forums and then putting in little words/bits and then calling your post your own. lozlzl!

3. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

You need to be honest with yourself.

If you're interested in developing a game, then it's A LOT of work.

If you're interested in just customizing an existing game, then you're better off using something else.

A game engine != a game.

4. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

I am being honest with yourself.

When I first showed up here people told me that it would take "a couple hours to develop a functional fps game" with the unity engine.

Now they say it will take thousands of hours.

They should advertise this fact more prominently and the fanboyz shouldn't mislead the newbies, especially not by hyping and lying.

I do love how this forum is illustarting the snarky, vicious fanboy culture which has frozen all progress in games, and is proud of this. lolz.

5. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Nobody lied to you.

A very basic point and shoot FPS could be made in a few hours. But it won't be much of a game. It won't have AI and it will have polygon primitives for art assets. All it would be good for would be as an environment to test code.

But going from that to a full blown game will take thousands of additional hours of development time.

It's been explained multiple times here already.

6. Tysoe

Tysoe

I said it would take someone familiar with unity a couple of hours to produce the basic functionality required for a simple FPS games. WASD Back forwards and strafe, mouse look, jump, shoot.

Simple moving object that the player triggers within a certain range, at which point the object follows the player and possibly shoots back. Create a simple weapon and projectile that can shoot the other object and destroy it.

If you already have some media with animation in, you could always borrow one of the character controllers from the standard assets that come bundled with Unity, and use this for the enemy object.

That stuff can be done in a couple of hours if your familiar with unity. It's hardly going to make a saleable game. In the end it's usually the assets characters, scenery, effects, level design, sound etc that take up the bulk of developing even a simple FPS. And you won't have time to produce these in 2 hours. Same goes for anything but the most rudimentary AI which is going to be the biggest challenge if you want to make anything more than a simple casual shooter.

7. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

lol!

Dude, you're cherry picking from what people here kindly explained to you to call them liars!

It's very simple, if you want to make a basic fps:

1)Game art, it'll take a fair amount of time to make it yourself!(Could be a couple of weeks/months/years)

For that you shall use a 3d modelling program(blender 3D, Wings 3D, Milkshape 3D)
    Also don't forget you'll need music/sfx!

2)Then, with unity, you can assemble all that in about 2 hours!

8. Filto

Filto

The knowledge about what it takes to make a game obviously differs a lot from person to person and I guess there are loads of people who dream of making a cool FPS or any other type game without really having any insight in the industry.

So perhaps it would be simpler in this case to just state the blunt fact.

For experienced programmers, artist and game designers it will take hundreds of thousands of man hours to make an FPS even close to Modern Warfare 2 caliber. For people who are totally knew to it well add lots and lots of hours to that.

If you plan to make it yourself you should regard it as a life-time project

9. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

This 'back and forth' over the same ground has probably been going on over 2 hours now... you could have made the FPS by now. Only joking, sorry.

10. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

So you're saying i can have a game with npcs following the player and shooting back in two hours?

Now you're qualifying it with "someone familiar with unity."

So am I to take this as "someone familiar with heart transplants can transplant a heart in a couple hours."

So now your very first post, which leaves this out, reads as:

"Having said that, performing a basic heart transplant is pretty straightforward and once you have the basic assets for your heart transplant it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to get a good basic heart transplant with core functionality up and running for a single patient. (as long as you are familiar with heart tranplants and have decades of schooling zlzozlzlzllzlzl!)"

lzozlzlzllzlz!

well you guys have to admit that this is more fun than any unity games which have shipped so far, even though they can be ported to all platforms and were developed with a whiz-bang workflow!

11. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Yes--why not state the blunt fact?

I am not embarrassed by not being able to develop a functioning FPS game in two hours with unity when nobody else in the whole world has done it, nor can do it either.

The vicious fanboyerie in these forums is amazing. Someone needs to bottle it and sell it on ebay or fanbay. lzozlzl Just sprinkle a little fanboyerie on any activity and it becomes so much more fun! Drink it and it will let you create fully functional FPSs on Unity in two hours while also shooting thunderbolts out your arse. lozlzll!

12. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

So basically it takes two hours to build a home as long as the home is already there and you just have to put the front door on the hinges. Awesome! Unity needs to sell home-building kits too! Complete with three gallons of free snark! lzolzl!

13. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Okay guys. He's officially a troll now.

14. Filto

Filto

Hey I didn't try to be rude. I just wanted to speak clearly so there wouldn't be any more confusions or misunderstandings

15. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

How many pages has the iPhone/Apple TOS thread got to??

(we could have a new winner with this one)

16. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

oh c'mon man.

everyone is having some fun here, and too, unity is gaining insight it the vast (multi-million-dollar) opportunity it has to build a functioning fps.

everyone wins!

17. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

hey man thanks!! all is cool. :) i appreciate your coolness! :)

just i felt slighted because people were saying that i wasn't man enough to create a fully functional fps game with unity in under two hours with one hand while riding a unicycle and shooting a bow and arrow at moving targets. but then i realized that in reality nobody can either, and it's just fanboyz bein' fanboyz. lzozlzl

18. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

hahaha

Actualy, It'd be more like this:

With unity can build the whole house in 2 hours.
    But unity doesn't provide you the bricks, wood, and basic materials!

The Good thing is that with unity you can build much more than a house, you can build a whole city! :D

19. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Unity should bring out a new brand of bottled water--on the label it would say "Crystal Clear Unity 3D Water." Then, in fine print on the empty bottles, it would say, "Just add water and stir for two hours." lzozlzl!

20. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

"Crystal Clear Unity 3D Water."
    "Not suitable for braindeads."

:D

21. Tysoe

Tysoe

All I can say is learn the engine and come back in a couple of months. I expect you will find that you can infact create a simple FPS in a couple of hours and will have to eat your Lolz ;P.

The keywords that you insist on ignoring are simple and or basic FPS.

As far as the AI goes, for super simple AI like I mentioned you just add a sphere trigger to your enemy object with a radius for the range you want it to see. use the command oncollisionenter with the player tag so when the player is inside the sphere the enemy object turns to face the player and moves forward towards it. You could just use a lookat and have it shoot at the player too. with oncollision exit you can have it stop its movement and ignore the player when you are outside the trigger volume.

It may be a bit simple but it would work and only be a few lines of code attached to the enemy object with a sphere trigger thats a child of the enemy object. There are of course much better and more flexible ways to do it, but I did say simple and most of that can be set up visually inside the editor with hardly any code.

22. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

And when the customer showed up at the forums asking if the bottled water would come with water in it, legions of fanboys would descend, going "nyah nyah nyah nyah--water is such a commodity and it is dominated by the big boys, so there is no reason to worry whether or not there is water in unity water nyah nyha nyah. Unity water is for the more "creative types" who aren't planing on drinking anything. Unity water can be ported to all major platforms including mugs and bottles and cups and glasses, just as long as you don't forget to add water first to the unity water bottle." lzozlzllzlz!!

23. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

lozlzl!

i love your first sentence! it is priceless!

"All I can say is learn the engine and come back in a couple of months. I expect you will find that you can infact create a simple FPS in a couple of hours and will have to eat your Lolz ;P."

Basically you are saying that it takes only two hours as long as I spend two months.

lzozlzllzlzlz!

dude you have *got* to sign up to work for customer support. i will pay the $1500 just to be able to be entertained by you. lozlz

24. Tysoe

Tysoe

I'm saying you need to learn how to use Unity before you can do anything with it. Who knows, it might take you 2 hours to figure out how to make a box primitive for all I know. Especially when you don't seem the type that would bother to read instructions properly.

I take it you learnt to walk before you could run right? It's the same with most other things including game dev. How old are you again? Perhaps you haven't experienced the learning to walk part yet, in which case this discussion is a waste of time ;P.

25. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

lzozlzl! We're back to it now taking only two hours.

yes running and walking--great metaphor. you can tell the baby that it only takes a minute to learn how to run, as long as they spent years learning how to crawl and walk.

dude you so need to head the customer serice department here. i will buy $1500 license and cancel my cable subscription. instead of watching comedy central i will call and ask you questions. lzozllzlz!

26. codinghero

codinghero

Asterix?

27. Tysoe

Tysoe

Anyway, sorry to disappoint but it's almost 5pm here and I have to go pick up the wife from work.

I'm glad you enjoyed the conversation, now be a good man and learn your way around the engine before asking many more questions.

@motojt. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Shiva Evangelist.

28. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

^

29. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

But wait! There's more...

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=192108

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=191603 (bottom)

He doesn't even bother to change the sentence that says "Beginning with the basic Unity First Person Shooter..." in those two topics. His posts are just laughable and it's obvious he truly doesn't know about game development.

He doesn't want to build a game, he wants someone else to make his vision for him (which apparently involves funny talking Locusts).

You have to go to Med School for years before you become a Doctor.
    You have to go to College and University for years before you can get a Certificate.
    You have to learn how to use an Axe before you chop wood.
    You have to learn how to use a game engine before you make games with it.

Baffling.

30. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

hahaha! that's hilarious!

31. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Yes--you have to learn how to build a movie camera and write Final Cut Pro software to become a movie director.

Funny how lazy directors want other people to do this so they can direct the movie.

Fortunately, I heard it only takes two hours to write Final Cut Pro, as long as you buy it first and install it.

Lozlzlzl!

32. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

33. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

I think it's awesome that unity has shipped so few games that it is more fun for the fanboyz/unity matsers to surf google and try to find out more about the blockbuster gaming revolution i am authoring and architecting and laugh at people trying to develop games with their unity which they have mastered to the extent that it only takes them 2 hours to develop fully functional fps's with one hand tied behind their back. lzozlzlzl!

It will only take me a couple hours. lozlzlzlzll!

The above writer writes, "His posts are just laughable and it's obvious he truly doesn't know about game development."

Lzolzlzlz! "If you don't know about game development, Unity is not for you. Use it, and our fanboyz will lzozllzlzlzlz in your face. That's why we built it--not to ship actual games--but to lzozlzlzl at people trying to make games who come here after we hype our engine! lozllzlzllz! If you can't make games with a c compiler only on an altair from 1987 in under two hours then you are a lolzlzlozlzlzlzler unworthy of asking questions!"

fanboyism rox!

34. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Ahh, so we're dealing with someone that laughs at the idea that you need to be educated about something before you could become proficient at it.

35. spiralgear

spiralgear

36. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

sevenseasgear I'm actually glad unity is not about doing an FPS in 3 simple steps!

It's a tool that helps you do anything you want easier and faster!

You'd do good to start using unity, it'll be very rewarding when you start creating things that came out of your own mind!

37. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Yes. Before you type on a message board you must become proficient in quantum mechanics so you can make your own cmos chips for your router. Otherwise how else can you get your words on the internet? Using other people's routers is for lzlzlzozoooozers.

I am glad that Unity is only for experts in game design, but they should advertise it that way more.

Rather than telling me it will take 2 hours to make an fps (which is a lie for all intents purposes) and then laughing at me when I ask questions.

38. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

Thanks for that!

You seem cool, but I'm wondering, for all tehir bluster and talk, have any other unity "Experts" on this board made or shipped a game? If not, then why all the snark and h8 directed at me? I thought unity was supposed to be user friendly?

What's up with all the h8 in the community?

Are people frustrated that they can't make and ship games? So they have to project on others and take out the frustration?

shouldn't they realize that basically nobody seems to be making and shipping games here, so just relaz and stop snarking? It's ok. It's not your fault?

39. X-Developer

X-Developer

Well, one game I really like is Paradise Paintball, and it is my favorite game on the internet. http://unity3d.com/gallery/developer-profiles/web-games/CMUNE

40. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

thanks!

that seems cool, but they're using their own Cmune platform. would i have access to that?

people here have told me that with unity i can build an fps in two hours, but Paradise Paintball seems like it took at least five or six hours. how many hours did Paradise Paintball take do you think?

41. X-Developer

X-Developer

Well, with all the multiplayer networking, able to buy items, multiple maps, weapons, and able to design your character. About 25-36 hours. I think you have to pay to access there platform.

42. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

so it took 25-36 hours to build the paintball paradise game?

how many developers were working on it for 25-36 hours?

thanks!

43. X-Developer

X-Developer

44. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Ummm... NO.

45. matthewminer

matthewminer

I decided to give it a whirl and I built* an FPS with Unity in ten minutes (five of which were spent browsing Slashdot). It has most of the usual features you'd expect: health, ammo, enemies, explosions, multiple weapons, sound effects, etc. I could have popped in some music, but the thirty seconds it would have taken just didn't seem worth it. I encourage you to check it out (~10 MB).

* in the sense that sevenseasgear is asking about

46. DavidB

DavidB

Well done, I actually had a bit of fun with this :p

Gotta love modern day technology.. let's you be virtually on par with Quake II in 10 min. Just imagine if you spent an hour... let alone maybe a month or two? Modern warefare 2 watch your back!

Nice demo, enjoyed it :D

47. RoyS

RoyS

Maybe what you really want is FPS Creator. http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001 I have a friend who uses it and he said you can sell your games commercially with it.

48. sevenseasgear

sevenseasgear

hey man! seriously did that take you ten minutes?

how long would it take to add some more ai and add some more characters and give them voices? i can pay!

49. Tysoe

Tysoe

It probably took him 10 since it is a modified version of the FPS tutorial, the one I mentioned early on in this thread. If you had bothered to download the unity demo and loaded the FPS tutorial project like I suggested you would know this.

50. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/fpstutorial

Look familar? Do the tutorial, it should give you a good idea of what it takes to build a basic game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.