Search Unity

What is the best type of computer mouse to use for Unity

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CEdw321, Jul 6, 2019.

1. CEdw321

CEdw321

Hi All,

I am new to using the Unity application and wanted to know what is the best type of computer mouse to use to quickly move around a scene and move objects around? Should the mouse have a Scroll Wheel and a Roller Ball?

Any ideas and links would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
    Colin

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

...Seriously?

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. halley

halley

Heavy 3D applications tend to need two buttons, and a scroll wheel which can act as a third button. I'm using a Logi MX Anywhere 25, which is pretty typical and nothing fancy.

4. enhawk

enhawk

Amiga 500 tank mouse

5. CorgiGone

CorgiGone

Actually it's a pretty good question,

tldr: "sounds good, doesnt work".

there are many options for viewport navigation, midi inputs, wrist pain relief etc.
    I've tried alot of different weird stuffs like the razer orbweaver, vertical mouse, leapmotion and so on, but the main drawback is flexibility.

I find myself having to switch between multiple workstations at work and at home, and mind you some of these are used by other people. No way you can force others to use all the weird devices you're used to.

Also beware if you train yourself on a custom setup everyday and become proficient with it, the day you'll have to work in a company on a shared computer, you'll find yourself in alot of pain.
    I used to customize all my shortcuts 20 years ago when i started using 3dsmax, then got frustrated when having to use someone else's computer/show someone something on their machine/have someone do something on my session etc.

After a few years of being stubborn I switched to default shortcuts and never looked back, for every software.

It's pretty much the same for hardware. go default. Left right middle clicks. :)

6. Blarp

Blarp