Search Unity

What is the best software to create models for Unity?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Hristo_Malakov, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Hristo_Malakov

Hristo_Malakov

What software can create models for Unity in the least amount of time? What about the software that creates the best models when it comes to quality? Do extra softwares like Makehuman really speed up the process of development?

Thank you.

2. mariusz

mariusz

As far as I know it's the people :) They are creating models :) so the best one is the one most familiar with...
    There's no big difference in what can be modeled in Maya or Blender or 3ds. MakeHuman does some speed up but
    it's not just plug'n play - custom rig is often needed etc. etc.

3. HristoMalakov

HristoMalakov

Really? Because I read somewhere that 3ds is much better than Blender to the point that if you posted your work with blender on a blender forum, you would get complimented, if you posted it on a cg forum, you would get downright rejected. Is that true or is Blender really as good as the paid ones?

4. mariusz

mariusz

Of course. Tools and what you can do with them are somewhat similiar to this kind of software. Interface is different, workflow maybe different. And personal preferences of course. Some task can be completed easier in one or other software, but good modeler can create good models in any software he likes :)

HristoMalakov likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What software do you find more comfortable working in?
    Which software do you know best?
    No? Yes? Dunno. Do you need generic humans?

HristoMalakov likes this.
  6. HristoMalakov

HristoMalakov

I knew someone would have posted exactly those answers. Well, I don't know how to properly use any software, but eventually I decided to learn using Blender and see what happens.

Aren't MakeHuman characters pretty customizeable?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, it's because they are the correct answers to your questions.

Modelling skills transfer from software to software pretty well (I mean, well, there is a bit of a re-learning curve at the beginning), so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, but they also have a consistent *look*. I'm not crazy about the results it makes, but I haven't used it in a while.

8. Scion01

Scion01

Autodesk Maya and 3D Max are the major programs, though I see a lot of good blender stuff too.

It's like an artist who decides they want to switch from pencils to charcoal.
    They have spent years learning color theory, form, and so on - the medium itself becomes trivial.
    There are endless ways to speed up workflow with tricks and experience. The software itself hardly matters.

I use Maya because the UI feels most comfortable to me. That's all.