Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best Kinect Motion Capture option?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by jonny314, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jonny314

jonny314

I've read several forums and there are a lot of options out there it seems. I would like opinions from people who have used some to guide me in the right direction. I have an Xbox 360 with Kinect and would like to use the Kinect for Motion Capture to use with animations of games. I use Blender for modeling.
    What would be the best option for this?

2. Marble

Marble

I've used iPiSoft (their basic version) for this and it works great.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I would love to recommend Cinema Mo-Cap, but it doesn't yet support dual Kinects. (They're working on it, though.) This means you can't capture motions where you turn more than 45-60 degrees or your arms are in front of your body. If you need turning or arms in front of body, use iPiSoft. If you only have one Kinect and you don't need this, use Cinema Mo-Cap. It's inexpensive, and it works right in the Unity editor.

4. jonny314

jonny314

Thanks for all the help

5. Jago

Jago

I never used it, but another option is Poser (the game dev edition). They added a motion capture system that is based on kinect for windows, but I don't know if it is good or not.

Bye,
    Jacopo

6. DRRosen3

DRRosen3

Don't see a point in making a new thread for this, so to piggy-back, do any of you know where I could purchase the adapter needed to connect an XBOX ONE Kinect sensor to a PC?

7. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Be sure to get the connector for the new Kinect. The old Kinect adaptors listed on Amazon won't work. From a PC Mag article:

How to / requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/sensor_setup.aspx#adapter

Where to buy: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/default.aspx#tab=2

9. k1mset

k1mset

I read there was a free software that you could create a skeleton from Kinect Motion Capture in there application and import that directly into Blender 2.5+ and attach it directly to the mesh? Or am I mistaken?

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

I haven't looked into this before, but a quick Google search suggests Bloop, NI Mate, and Kinect BVH Mocap. I'm not sure which of those are free or which come with Blender plugins.

11. k1mset

k1mset

I don't remember either, last time I looked into this is when the first initial releases of people using the Windows Kinect for motion capture on the PC. I just remember reading something on the lines of utilizing the tool the people made, and were releasing for free, to capture all of your motions and save them to a skeletal system and export / import into animation programs such as Blender. Possibly the program never came out even, no clue.

I will have to dig more into this once I get home, so that I can get some for sure knowledge of the subject. Peaks my interest to be able to 'cookie cut' from having to hand cram animate everything, if I have to drop a couple hundred to do motion capture so be it.

12. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

13. Walkerman9

Walkerman9

Is it really hard to make a motion capture gun. What's the idea with putting mocap markers on a plastic gun and it makes a digital one? How is it made? How does it work?

14. LittleRainGames

LittleRainGames

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Thanathos likes this.