Search Unity

what is the best ide for coding shaderlab

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by virtouso, Feb 6, 2020.

1. virtouso

virtouso

hi. i just started copding for shaderlab.

there is not a good ide to code for it.

vs and vs code both have some plugins but all of them dont perform very well and i should take care so much for typos.

2. bgolus

bgolus

Personally I've never found a good IDE for shader dev. Generally I've just learned to write shaders w/o one, generally I write all my code without an IDE out of habit, but that doesn't really help new users. In the past there were some tools for Visual Studio that did very limited code completion and highlighting, but it rarely worked. More recently I found this package for Sublime Text 3.0.
    https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Unity Shader

It does an okay job, but it's old and is doing code completion assuming Unity 5.5 and that the shader language is Cg ... which it isn't, it's HLSL and has been since Unity 4 days. Most of time that's okay, but it's possible it'll autocomplete to a function that doesn't exist in HLSL, and will miss anything from Direct3D 11 HLSL. I also find it adds unnecessary spaces and tabs(!) after some auto completes which drives me batty.

Pecek, colin299 and SugoiDev like this.
  3. avvie

avvie

I have been having this issue .. and i think my patience for learning is diminished by that lack of tooling :S
    I would be able to stay creative for longer had i something.
    Cant find anything on Rider, vs studio that do any worthwhile job

4. DaveAstator

DaveAstator

5. djoledjole2

djoledjole2

6. AqueuseAkaLLO

AqueuseAkaLLO

Shadered don't support unity shaders, only HLSL and CGSL