Search Unity

Question What is the best approach to implementing passengers?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by TheOtherMonarch, Jun 17, 2021.

1. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

What is the best way to implement passengers? I can think of a few way to deal with character controllers entering vehicles. The passengers will be seated and have restricted animations.

1: Parent and remove components from the character controller (Physics Body and Physics Shape).
    2: Use a fixed joint I have not really looked into joints yet.
    3: Do something like PlatformMotionSystem this seems over kill.
    4: Wait until disable components becomes a thing.

Right now with gameObjects I do something like option 1#.

2. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

#1 sounds like the option. Add a Parent and a PhysicsExclude component. Then remove both when they need to disembark.

TheOtherMonarch likes this.
  3. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I did not know about PhysicsExclude thanks. Does this exclude only the tagged entity or also children? I have the rigidbody collider and also children hit box colliders. I would like the hit boxes to still function.

4. snacktime

snacktime

What's simplest depends on the controller. Like with kinematic controllers I've found it easier to use a passenger component that stores the passenger local to to vehicle. Then it's as simple as a boarding/unboarding that adds/removes the passenger component and stores the local translation/rotation and a job with a signature like below which updates the world position/rotation. The controller should just set velocity to 0. No adding/removing physics components or transform system parenting which is more complex, especially given you likely will have a passenger component of some type anyways.

.ForEach(Passenger p, Translation t, Rotation r)

steveeHavok likes this.