Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

What is package name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shayke, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Shayke

Shayke

Hi, i contacted google console and asked them if i can change my app's name and they told me that i can change the title of the game but i can not change the package name.
    I don't really understand what is package name and why do i care to change it?
    I just want my game to have a different name and that it would be easier for people to find it on google play.

2. verybinary

verybinary

The title is how people find your app.
    package name is for googles computers find your app

Change the title, and that's what will be shown in the search listing in google play

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Shayke

Shayke

Thanks!
    Why should i care about google computers finding my app?
    And do you know if i have to change anything with admob? I use a banner.

4. verybinary

verybinary

You: here is my game
    Your customers: I want this game
    Googles search engine: What is this? I don't know where I put this. What do I do? AGHHHHHHH!!!

the package name is like an IP address. If you didn't have one, the data on this forum wouldn't get to you. If you had someone elses IP address, you click your forum post, and it gets displayed on someone elses computer.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's the unique identifier for the program. Android uses the same package naming guidelines as Java.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/package.html
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/package/namingpkgs.html

Like @verybinary mentioned without a unique identifier it would be very difficult to find the program but that's only one of the many problems that would come from it. Another example would be if someone made a payment to a program and there were multiple programs using the same name, how would Google know who was supposed to get the payment?

6. Shayke

Shayke

So basiaclly only on google store people can find me by the title name and on google search engine i'll be a ghost unless people search for the last name of the app.
    And about the payment, if i have none IAP features i don't need to be consered about it right? I put only ads inside so ti does not really matter.
    Bottom line, do you recommend on uploading a new app instead of just changing title for a game that use only ads inside and not promoted by ad companies?
    And another question that i don't expect you to answer:
    My game's name called Logo League(Quiz) , the thing is that i don't find him on google play when i type Logo Quiz but still people download my game i don't know how they get to it.
    I wanted to change the name to Logo Quiz or something.
    Do you thing that i can't find it that way because the Quiz word positioned last or its in the brackets?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.YumaApps.LogoLeague

7. verybinary

verybinary

Cant answer the first part, I have no knowledge of ads on purpose.

Part 2, do you mean two separate apps? (one with ads and one without)
    if yes, you would need a new package name, but the title could be "Logo League(Quiz) - with ads"
    if no, then no, Id just play around with the title until you hit the mark for seo

Part 3, when did you submit the app? Im pretty sure google play refreshes their database on Thursdays in the mornings. You should be able to search for it now(should) and the other downloads you got were from searching for package name stuff or links you supplied, but yes, it would take a while for the search to catch up with your title.