Search Unity

Unity What is next for us at Unity with Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by mirrormask, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Enlighten RT was just added back in 2021.1 :D

DEEnvironment likes this.
  2. GliderGuy

GliderGuy

Precisely. :p

Enlighten was "deprecated" for Enbrighten — which was released alongside with the new FRP — and is now also considered "deprecated" as well. Enbrighten will be "removed" in 2023 after of which it will make its "surprising" return in 2025 so that way Unity will never have to make the in-house RT GI they "promised". :D

Luckily, 2025 coincides with the same date that both the FRP and the BERP will be suddenly deprecated in favor of the new CRP (Complete Render Pipeline). Which I'm suuuuuure is just pure coincidence and not nefarious (or nefariously poor) planning on anyone's part. :p

In the meantime, I think I'm going to go back to pre-rendered cutscenes and crudely-drawn paper cutouts. :)
    No one can deprecate my lighting model if I don't have one! :D

/s

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Alex-CG, Noisecrime, Kirsche and 4 others like this.
  3. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

So true!

4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Yeah, I was VERY skeptical when they initialy said they would do their own version of realtime GI like enlighten... I'm happy they got to renew their license instead of making an half baked implementation.

landonth and Rich_A like this.
  5. landonth

landonth

By all means depart for Nanite-land now if it's really a better fit for you in particular. Unfortunately Epic/Unreal completely dropped support for legacy mobile (non GPU compute capable) and WebGL. If that doesn't concern you, then it makes a lot of sense to go with Unreal's mid to high end platform only renderer. If that does matter to your use case(s), then Unity URP may be a better fit for many as it supports legacy mobile and WebGL. Or BRP if there's something it has that URP doesn't yet. Whereas Unity HDRP compares more closely to Unreal's only renderer.
    Epic Unreal is a bit like Apple MacOS, they are quick to drop support for legacy / non state of the art platforms and maintain a focus and simplicity at the cost of compatibility.
    Unity is / has become more like Microsoft Windows, they support legacy platforms for much much longer, at the cost of being more complex and fractured to support the full spectrum newest and oldest platforms and APIs.
    There are pros and cons to each approach. Choose the one that works best for your projects and use case(s.)
    Having said that, I do agree the development of URP, HDRP and other major recent developments at Unity have been in many ways unnecessarily splintered and rushed, work duplicated in isolation and UI / UX and APIs ended up wildly different for no reason other than perhaps lack of communication between teams and management plus unrealistic timelines, my best guess anyway.

G-Mika and KamilDA like this.
  6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

What was a better fit for me was Unity when it was actually UNITED and retro-compatible.
    All what the built-in render pipeline needed was single pass lighting and better batching. THAT'S IT.
    What we got instead was LESS FEATURES, fragmentation and incompatibility with new render pipelines no one asked for.
    And on top of that, URP isn't even faster than built-in!
    What the hell Unity! Are you drunk??

7. lisahaley

lisahaley

Artist tooling is great idea.

unityunity